Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Apple Crumb Cake

Can you believe it is already October? I still haven't accomplished any of my New Year's resolutions. Well, actually I didn't make any resolutions, but if I had, I would not have done any of them by now. I cannot believe how fast this year is going by. It certainly doesn't feel like October. It's 100 degrees and muggy out, perfect time to bake, right? Well the other day I got the bright idea to do just that. I saw all these gorgeous apples and pomegranates at the two farmers markets I went to this past weekend so I got a couple of things and wanted to try a recipe. There are so many thousands of ways to cook with apples, but lately I have been craving a crumb cake. I based this recipe on one I tried a couple of months ago, but this time I baked them in my mini springform pans. This was so good with apples and cinnamon in every bite. Next time, I would use a little less flour in the crumbs because those were a little too *floury*, but otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised by how this turned out.

PS, Go vote

Apple Crumb Cake
(By Esi)

Makes enough for one 9-inch cake or two 4 1/2 inch cakes

For the filling:
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
2 tablespoons sugar
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

For the Crumbs:
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter, cooled
3/4 cup flour
Pinch salt

For the cake:
1 tablespoon nonfat Greek yogurt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons softened butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt

To make the filling:
In a small bowl mix the diced apples, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and cinnamon and set aside.

To make the crumbs:
Mix the sugars, cinnamon, salt, and butter until smooth. Whisk in the flour until the mixture becomes a solid dough, set aside.

To make the cake:
Mix together the yogurt, vanilla and egg in a small bowl. In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

Add the butter to the flour mixture and using an electric mixture, slowly whisk in the yogurt mixture.

To assemble the cakes:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees

Spoon enough batter to cover the bottom of each pan. Top with the apple mixture, and then the remaining cake batter.

Break the crumbs into 1/2 inch thick pieces (they do not need to be even), and top the cake with the crumbs. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean - it will probably still be a little moist from the apples. Cool before serving.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

healthy ashley said...

I just found your blog and I'm drooling. That picture.... yum!

Esi said...

Hey Ashley! Thanks for visiting and come by any time :)

Erica said...

Esi- that looks incredible! And it seems like a healthier version of a regular crumb cake!

Heather said...

the topping on this looks divine! i love granny smith apples!

Brilynn said...

I know what you mean, where does time go?
That crumb cake looks great!

Anonymous said...

This looks delish, it makes me wanting to make them immediately. Thanks for the recipe!

Debbie said...

Apple crumb cake sounds good. I just posted an apple cake also and couldn't get it out of the pan....!!!!

Shari said...

Mmm. I need an apple cake for all the apples we picked recently! Thanks!

Prudy said...

Oh, I'm all over this one. I've got to try it. I've got some squash now for your soup, too. I'll make that and then your cake for dessert.

vanillasugarblog said...

Oh those crumbs! That's my favorite part. This is one good looking cake.

Anonymous said...

Most anything with apples has my vote. This looks delicious! I wish I could have it for breakfast with coffee and a side of vanilla bean ice cream! ha! :-)

And I can't believe it's October already. Ready for Christmas???

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love apple desserts! This looks so good!

Esi said...

Thank you all you lovely people! Christine I am not even ready for Halloween, much less Christmas :)

Gretchen Noelle said...

Tasty looking cake! I need more apple ideas!

test it comm said...

That looks good! I like the big crumbs!

Unknown said...

omg, mini springform pans?!? so much fun! i'd take some of that cake, too ;-)