Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Dragon's Chicken Wings

A couple of months ago I saw a post for these chicken wings on TasteSpotting and bookmarked the recipe. Since I am still lacking in a well-stocked kitchen this week, I figured now was the perfect time to try it. I had all the spices and just made a quick trip to my neighborhood superstore for the wings. As some of you know, I have two supermarkets on my corner, but I really try to avoid getting most things from the "superstore" because it is poorly stocked, and the other one is just so dang expensive that I can't justify paying their prices in these tough economic times. That said, a girl's gotta eat so I broke down this once. I made some adjustments to the original recipe because I like things hot (actually, it was mostly because I had less wings than the original, but I do also like things hot). The pomegranates had nothing to do with the recipe except for the fact that I have an excess of pomegranates and thought they would look pretty in this picture. I also thought the sweet seeds would provide a little relief to the spice, but this wasn't nearly as spicy as I thought it would be. If you try this, I strongly suggest marinating it overnight so that the amazing flavor is in every part of the chicken. Dragon is right in her post, dare you to eat just one.


Dragon's Chicken Wings
(Adapted from Dragon's Kitchen)

2 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 large bay leaf, crumbled fine
1 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried red chili flakes
Pinch ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 lbs of uncooked chicken wings

Using a food processor, mash the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, salt, chili peppers, black pepper and olive oil into a paste. Put the paste mixture into a large ziplock bag. Add chicken wings to the bag, seal the bag and rub the paste all over the wings. Refrigerate for several hours or over night.

Remove the chicken wings from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler.

Arrange the wings on a lightly oiled cookie sheet; place it 6 inches from the heat. Broil the chicken wings 10-12 minutes until nicely browned; turn the wings and brown another 10 minutes longer until sizzling. It might take less time depending on your oven.

Transfer the chicken wings to a plate and drizzle the pan drippings over the wings.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Diana said...

I think the spice on those suckers might tear my lips off! :) Do you think I could do a variation with chicken tenders or breasts? Love the pomegranite accent! I wish everything could come with pomegranites on top!

Erica said...

Another great recipe! Seems healthy too! Good for you!

Chocolate Shavings said...

This looks delicicious - especially with the pomegranate!

Esi said...

Diana - I have a pretty high heat tolerance, but these were not hot at all, just really nice flavors that I think would be great on chicken tenders or chicken breasts too, but of course you could adjust the seasonings to your taste.

Erica- thanks!

Chocolate Shavings - thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Esi. Congratulations on coming back with a real flourish. These look great!

Sharon said...

The pomegranate seeds definitely make the picture pretty! I'd love to try one of these wings (or two).

Paula said...

Oh Esi, these look GOOOOD! I've never crumbled bay leaf before, and I'm curious how that would taste. Man, I'm craving wings now! YUM!

Prudy said...

That looks fabulous, so very yummy. I'm loving that tahini-less hummus recipe below too.

Natalie Que said...

Okay, these look like my kind of wings! They kinda seem like they've taken a 'man's' food and made it a little girly, even if they do call it Dragon Wings!

Dee said...

It's very odd. I thought I subscribed to your posts but haven't received any notice. I've just subscribed again so let's hope I don't miss out on any yummies.

The chicken looks scrummy!

Alicia Foodycat said...

These sound so tasty! And pomegranate makes everything pretty!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I love the addition of pomegranate seeds to these wings. Pretty, pretty, pretty!