Thursday, October 9, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers: Butternut Squash Risotto

Hmmm, remember that whole thing about me being sick yesterday? I totally went against my own advice (and common sense) and went to go see NKOTB last night. I never got to see them when I was young so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see them for free! It was so amazing. Full of people my age remembering the boys in their glory days. I am deaf and mute today, but it was probably worth it. My ears are still ringing and I still have no voice, but maybe I can take a nap on the plane later today. Yeah, right. it's only an hour flight. Anyway, another day, another recipe I have never tried before. This week's Barefoot Bloggers was chosen by Rachel of Rachel Likes to Cook. Risotto was definitely on my list of things to try, but I had just made all these things with butternut squash so I was a little disappointed about having to get another one so soon. Oh well, onward. I picked up a fairly small squash at the farmers market and found a (huge!) box of risotto at Trader Joes. The saffron there wasn't too expensive, but I still haven't found that sugar daddy yet, so I had to leave it out of the recipe. The cooking time was a little longer than the recommended 30 minutes. I think it took me closer to 40, but it was worth it. This was creamy and delicious, but I am sure it would have been even better with the saffron. This was the perfect meal for a late Sunday lunch with a glass of wine and Us Weekly...I mean, a good book. To check out the other Barefoot Bloggers' risottos, visit the blogroll. To find out how to sign up for the group, go here.



Butternut Squash Risotta
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

1 small butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ounce pancetta, diced
1/4 cup minced shallots
3/4 cup Arborio rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds, and cut it into 3/4-inch cubes. Place the squash on a sheet pan and toss it with the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once, until very tender. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan. Leave it on low heat to simmer.

In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the pancetta and shallots on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the shallots are translucent but not browned. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to add the stock, 1 ladle at a time, stirring every few minutes. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock. Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total. Off the heat, add the roasted squash cubes and Parmesan. Mix well and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

Angry Asian said...

yes! another butternut squash recipe! :) i don't know how i feel about risotto. i've had it only a few times and i've been... unimpressed. maybe with squash it would be better.

please let me know if you ever find a sugardaddy and if you'd be willing to share. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Get some rest and feel better!

Thistlemoon said...

That looks totally delicious!

Hope you feel better soon!

Diana said...

Yum! I've been on a risotto kick lately so will have to give this recipe a whirl! Probably without the saffron though -- got save those pennies so I can buy more honeycrisp apples! ;)

chocolatechic said...

When you find a sugar daddy, can you see if he has a brother....please???

Paula said...

Ok, this goes on the definitely need to make it list. I love your photo with the cheese sprinkled on top. Thanks, too, for the heads up about risotto at Trader Joes. Hope you are feeling better and that you have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember the New Kids on the Block! I bet that was fun! I always wanted to have the cool NKOTB gear for my room, but wasn't allowed. Glad you went! And glad you liked the risotto.

~Cat

Heather said...

ohh yum :) i love risotto and have made a bn squash one a couple of times - i love how hearty bn squash is. it tastes just like fall :) this one looks delicious! feel better :)

test it comm said...

Butternut squash goes so well in a creamy and cheesy risotto.

webbie said...

Hope you are well today. The picture looks great. And I'm still looking for a sugar daddy too. No saffron for me.

Suzie said...

NKOTB - I love all these blasts from the past that keep turning up. Glad you got to see them. Hope you are feeling better - and your picture looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Your version looks delicious! I'm having great fun with Ina's recipes.

Becka Robinson said...

Wow, this looks amazing. I love butternut squash!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful risotto! Love the shredded Parmesan cheese on top. Yours looks better than mine!