Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sesame-Garlic Soba Noodles with a Fried Egg

Sometimes when I get home from work I am not hungry at all. Other times, I am so hungry I can eat the entire contents of my fridge in one sitting (or an entire cheesecake). In order to prevent me gaining a hundred pounds in one sitting, I like to look for quick meals to prepare for a weeknight. I recently saw this recipe on The Kitchn and new I had to try it immediately. I am not the hugest fan of ginger, but I recently decided not to completely rule it out of recipes so I bought a little hunk at the farmers market. I cooked my egg a lot less done than I normally like, but the yolk actually ended up being really good with the soba and created kind of a sauce. In fact, this was so good that I wanted to make more right after I finished the plate, but I consoled myself with some cheesecake instead. I am definitely going to try this again with either more vegetables or some chicken.

Sesame-Garlic Soba Noodles
(From The Kitchn)

1 cup soba noodles - about 1.5 ounces dry
1 Tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
2 green onions, thinly sliced (reserve some for garnish)
1 egg
Extra salt

Bring a pot of salted water to boil and add the soba noodles. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and transfer to serving dish. Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium heat and add the sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, and sauté until fragrant, about thirty seconds to one minute. Remove from heat and stir in the soy sauce. Pour this sauce over the noodles, add the green onion, and toss until the noodles are evenly coated. Set the same small pan you just used back over medium-high heat. Crack an egg into the pan, being careful not to break the yolk. When the whites have set, use a spatula to gently but swiftly flip the egg over. Cook for a minute or two until the whites are completely cooked but the yolk is still liquid. Slide the egg on top of the noodles, garnish with green onion. Serve immediately

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Becka Robinson said...

Those look delicious Esi!

I have something for you on my blog today! ;)

Diana said...

I know it's a total foodie no-no, but I just can't seem to get myself to eat a runny egg! The noodles look great though! I actually had soba noodles and tofu for dinner last night... yum!

Anonymous said...

I am with diana h. - hubby likes them raw as possible, I need them almost overcooked!

The noodles look great though!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Yummy! I love soba noodles but can't seem to get the texture right when we make it at home. Sesame and garlic: bring it on!

Esi said...

Miss Marie - thank you!!

Diana and Biz - I totally know what you mean. I normally like eggs well done, but you would not be disappointed with this.

js - the flavor in these noodles is seriously amazing.

Heather said...

ohhhh my gosh! those look so tasty, and utterly delicious! beautiful picture!

Erica said...

Ow! I wouldn't have thought to put this together but it looks very good! Your weekend sounds like a lot of fun! Are you dressing up?

Andrea said...

I myself will do anything for a perfectly runny yolk. I agree, oozing over something it makes for a delicious sauce all on its own. I love the looks of this recipe. Yum!

The Food Librarian said...

Yummy! I love soba noodles and the fried egg on top sounds perfect. And today was one of those "eat the whole fridge" days for me!

Esi said...

Thanks Heather, Erica, Andrea, and FL!

Erica - I'm really not sure if I am going to dress up, I have been so busy cooking, I haven't had much time to think of a costume.

FL - I have to admit, I just had this dinner for the third night in a row. I love it!!

Marla said...

I saw the same thing on The Kitchn and tried it right away. It's a great quick and tasty recipe!

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Anything with a runny yolk is a winner in my books! =)

Tastes of Home said...

I love soba noodles, tasty and healthy :) this looks great esp. with the egg on top! my hubby loves runny egg yolks :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

I want some of that! It looks so light and delicious!

Paula said...

Oh Esi, this is a winner! I love how this looks. I like my egg whites cooked through, but enjoy a runny yoke. I would slurp up every bit e of your noodles! YUM!

Unknown said...

ooh, so yummy-looking!