Saturday, October 4, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

A long, long time ago one of my friends insisted that I try her mom's pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. This was back in the day when I didn't think that I liked things like pumpkin, but that was only because I had only had it in gross things like pumpkin pie (which I am still not a fan of to this day). But then I tried those cookies and I realized I do indeed like pumpkin. A couple of years ago I found a recipe for pumpkin cookies on cooks.com. This isn't the same as the recipe my friend's mom made, but I like the soft, cake-like texture of these cookies. They definitely are helping me get into the mood for Halloween which is one of my favorite holidays even though it isn't really a holiday. Have you figured out your costumes yet? Every year, I promise that the following year I will have some great costume idea and then the day sneaks up on me and I have nothing. I still have no idea what to dress up as this year! Any and all suggestions (especially inexpensive ones) are welcome. Now, I have been known to make tortillas from scratch out of boredom and other crazy things, but this is one of those times that it is perfectly acceptable to buy canned pumpkin...unless you find yourself with a surplus of them after Halloween. If you're like me and just want to get out of the store quickly because it's Friday night and you're exhausted, please make sure you inspect the can and make sure all the edges are even. This will protect you from cut fingers, pumpkin all over your kitchen and general frustration (I'm guessing. I don't follow my own advice so all of the above happened to me). I'm bringing these little treats with me as my friends and I make our way to Disneyland for the day! Hope you're having a great Saturday.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
(From Cooks.com)

1 cup pumpkin
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees


Dissolve baking soda in milk and set aside. In large bowl whisk together pumpkin, sugar, oil, vanilla, and egg.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and then. Stir in the baking soda mixture and then chocolate chips. Spoon onto cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until done.

Amusing pics of my kitchen covered in pumpkin:


Stumble Upon Toolbar

28 comments:

test it comm said...

Adding pumpkin to chocolate chip cookies is a great idea! I can't wait to try it.

vanillasugarblog said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one that does not care for pumpkin pie. I never liked pumpkin pie for as long as I can remember. But I might give these cookies a go.

Debbie said...

I love all things pumpkin. Love the pumpkin in the kitchen photos...reminds me of my own kitchen!

CECIL said...

It happens to me all the time when I lost patience using my mixer and try to speed it up by moving it faster and faster. Which then, I have to put more effort to clean and wipe things!! :) I have always liked pumpkin and this sounds like a great idea for cookies!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love pumpkin pie, but I have never had a pumpkin cookie. I think I would like it! They go such a pretty colour!

Unknown said...

oh no with the pumpkin! hehe, love me some pumpkin cookies :)

Anonymous said...

These look great!!!

Sharon said...

I love all things pumpkin. These look nice 'n fluffy. Sorry about your kitchen - that's kind of what mine looks like everytime I cook :)

Anonymous said...

What size can of pumpkin do you use? These look so yummy!

Esi said...

Thank you everyone!

Sharon - as I start to experiment more in the kitchen, the more I am having some mini disasters. As long as the food turns out ok, it's all good. :)

Anna - I just used the regular canned pumpkin in the store which I think is 16 oz. You only need 8 oz for the recipe though.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great cookies! I love that delicious combo!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I don't know how someone wouldn't like pumpkin cookies :) Great recipe and great photo! I'll have to make these too.

aleta meadowlark said...

Oh, sounds delightful. I love cakey cookies, this will be great!

Anonymous said...

Wow, these were great. Thanks for the recipe! I loved them!

Carla said...

I saw your picture on Tastespotting. I've been craving pumpkin raisin cookies, so I made this recipe about 10 minutes ago. Half of the cookies have chocolate chips; half have raisin. I just tasted one out of the oven, and it's what I've been wanting. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Anonymous said...

These are my favorite, my aunt used to make these all the time when I was a kid. There was a falling out, and I couldn't get the recipe from her. Thanks for sharing!

April said...

I just made these with some fresh pumpkin puree - YUM! Thanks for sharing the recipe and for putting that delicious picture on Tastespotting!

Esi said...

Rosa, Hillary and Aleta - thank you!

Alexander, Carla, and April - I am so happy you tried them and liked them as much as my friends and I did!

Kristal - glad I could help you out in finding the recipe :)

musicbleep said...

the best cookies i have ever tasted!! yummmmmmmmmmers!

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited about using pumpkin in baking this season! can't wait! this might just be the first recipe i try :)

Diana said...

A couple years ago I made a similar recipe using white chocolate chips, dried cranberries and toasted walnuts -- they were scrumptious! I'll have to give the chocolate chip version a try!

Sharon said...

I made a variation of these tonight though mine are not as pretty as yours! Delicious cookies!

mel p. said...

i made these for halloween -- they were such a big hit. thanks for bringing them to our attention! :)

Carla said...

Ok so I know I made these cookies awhile ago, but I realized in your directions, it says "stir in baking powder mixture" when I believe it should say "stir in baking soda mixture." I'm blogging about the recipe, and I was confused for a few minutes lol

Amanda said...

I've included this in my round up!
http://oldtips.blogspot.com/2009/10/friday-recipes-pumpkin-desserts.html

Samantha Kate said...

That's it. I'm baking these this weekend! Along with a couple other sweet treats :) I AM a pumpkin addict.

Digital Marketing said...

Excellent information, I like your post.

Cheapest Food Delivery Service in Redlands

Healthy Meal Delivery Services in Colton

Cheapest Food Delivery Service in Rancho Cucamonga

noke said...

Check This Outvisit the website my review hereRead Full Article useful referencenews