Thursday, August 20, 2009

Israeli Couscous with Tomatoes and Carrots

Israeli Couscous with Carrots and Tomatoes

Lately my email inbox has been out of control. In a recent effort to get the number of emails down to more reasonable levels, I went on a cleaning binge and found an email from The Kitchn on twenty ways to cook anything this summer. Sort of like Bittman's salads there are no rules and things can be customized a million ways. I only recently discovered Israeli couscous and I love its chewiness. I cooked it in chicken stock instead of water to add some flavor and tossed the whole thing with lemon juice at the end added freshness. This quick recipe is a keeper and very versatile for any time of year.


Israeli Couscous with Carrots and Tomatoes

Israeli Couscous with Tomatoes and Carrots
(Adapted from The Kitchn)

Makes 2 servings

1 1/3 cup Israeli couscous
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/3 cup low sodium chicken stock
4 ounces cubed pancetta
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
Handful cherry tomatoes, halved
Juice from 1/2 small lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the couscous and toast until it is lightly brown. Add the chicken stock and bring up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, in a medium saute pan, cook the pancetta until it is crispy. Remove the pancetta from the pan with a slotted spoon and leave about 2 teaspoons of the rendered fat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the carrots and cook, until they are slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the coucous to the garlic and carrot mixture and toss to combine.

Remove the pan from the heat. Add the pancetta back to the couscous mixture and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Toss the couscous mixture with the sliced tomatoes and serve warm.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Erica said...

Quick and easy- love it! I love israeli couscous...the consistency is just right! Glad you found a nice easy meal.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, this sounds delightful. Great for a solo-lunch. You know, I've never had couscous, but sure am willing to give it a try, looks delicious.

Mary Bergfeld said...

How good does this look :-) and it's quick and easy to boot. That makes for homerun in my book.

Diana said...

My gmail inbox is a scary place. I have 4800 e-mails in there. It's pretty ridiculous!

Salad looks delish -- does this mean you didn't make it to the gym?

Eve said...

I love israeli couscous, this sounds like such a great combo especially with the pancetta!

Maria said...

Israeli couscous is wonderful. Love how you fixed it up here!

Kerstin said...

This is such a great quick and easy weeknight meal, it looks super flavorful!

The Food Librarian said...

Lovely! I love it. I think I Couscous is like little savory boba! :) I love the mouth feel!!

vanillasugarblog said...

Wouldn't this be good in a warm wrap? This looks so good. I love the texture of Israeli couscous.

The Duo Dishes said...

Love the picture! It's so bright and colorful. Guess summer's not quite over yet. :)

Esi said...

Happy Thursday everyone and thank you as always.

Diana, ok, I thought mine was bad because I have been trying to keep it under 100. 4800?! Lol. I made it to the gym AND made this salad last night. Props :)

Dawn, that's an interesting idea to put this in a wrap...I'll think about it.

Duo Dishes, summer is by no means over. Especially not where we live!

Chef Fresco said...

Israeli couscous is the best! Your recipe looks so light and refreshing.

Reeni said...

This is so vibrant and delicious looking! A lovely summer dish!

Sharon said...

I love the vibrant colors! I had Israeli couscous for the first time recently and I can't wait to make it myself.

angela@spinachtiger said...

Summery and just right for color.I've never had Israeli couscous. Now I have to try it.

Simones Kitchen said...

I am a big fan of couscous but I didn't know you had an Israeli version! It does look lovely and light!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Quick, easy and vibrantly colored.
I think I'm in love.

Stephanie said...

I love Irsraeli couscous as well, picked some up at TJs a while back and have made countless veggie recipes with since then... this dish looks beautiful!

Creative Classroom Core said...

I love love love Israeli couscous - such great texture!