Monday, April 11, 2011

Roasted Chicken

Roasted Chicken

A couple of weeks ago I became obsessed with the idea of roasting a chicken. I'm not really sure why, but it was all I could think about. I've done baby chickens before, but an entire chicken was a new thing for me. I have a small oven and a big cast iron skillet. I used this tutorial at The Kitchn as my guide. I now want to roast a chicken every week. It makes enough food so that I have my work week lunches covered and leftovers for dinner if I desire. The chicken comes out moist, tender, and juicy. These are not normally words I like to use in describing food, but that is exactly how it is. I've been enjoying my chicken with brown rice, a heap of spinach and a bit of gravy made from the pan juices. Simple and wonderful.

Pan lined with onions
Line the pan with vegetables

Rinsed and patted dry
Chicken is rinsed and patted dry

Seasoning
Seasonings are ready

Chicken Ready to go in the Oven
Ready to go in the oven

Roasted Chicken
(From The Kitchn)

1 chicken (3-4 pounds) rinsed and patted dry inside and out
3 onions, sliced into wedges (you can also add celery, carrots, potatoes, or fennel)
Extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, halved
1 bulb of garlic, separated into cloves
Fresh herbs if desired

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Line the bottom of the pan with onions or whatever vegetables you prefer to use.

Mix the salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Coat the chicken with a thin layer of olive oil making sure to massage it all over. Rub the salt and pepper mixture all over the chicken and inside the cavity. Fill the cavity with the lemons, garlic, and herbs if using. Transfer the chicken to the pan with the onions.Put the chicken in the oven and lower the temperature to 400 degrees. Roast for one hour.

Insert an instant read thermometer into the meatiest part of the thigh. If the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees, the chicken is done. If not, roast the chicken for 5-10 more minutes until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.

Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving. If desired, make a pan gravy by whisking 1 tablespoon of flour into the pan juices and cooking until thickened. Serve with salad, rice, or whatever you desire.


Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Erica said...

Looks awesome! I've only roasted a breast- and even that makes lots of chicken to use throughout the week. Perfection :)

Rachel said...

This looks so good! And pretty simple too. I want to try roasting a chicken but it seems kind of intimidating... you make it look easy!

Joanne said...

For the longest time, I had really terrifying horrible memories of my mother making really bad dry roasted chicken. And then I made my own. And it was lovely! Yours looks like it definitely got a much better color than mine did. Beautiful!

susan said...

there is truly nothing more comforting than a roast chicken! i need this right now!

Amanda said...

I need to get a pan like that. Can you believe I still dont have one? You make it look so easy and delicious... thanks girl!

Blessings-
Amanda

Diana said...

Isn't roasting chickens awesome? I was so proud of myself after that first one and was amazed how far it went! It fed me, my mom and dad for dinner, and then I had plenty for leftovers for two lunches that week! Really need to roast another one. Maybe with a bird from Lindy & Grundy!

The Food Librarian said...

Esi, that is one beautiful chicken. I need to get in the habit of roasting a chicken once a week! - mary

vanillasugarblog said...

now i want to roast a chicken.
what did you make with it? sammies? salad? brownies? (just wanted to see if you were reading this) lol

angela@spinachtiger said...

I roast my chicken like this too. But smoke alarms always go off. Great idea to make and have lunches for the week. Love all the onions too.

Simones Kitchen said...

I love a good roast chicken but it took me forever to make my first one too. it's not even two years ago if I remember correctly that I was brave enough to attempt the first only to discover it was really not that difficult!

Unknown said...

Great recipe. It is perfect for a Sunday dinner.

Marie said...

The chicken turned out gorgeous! Great job. :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

You haven't roasted a full-size chicken before? That amazes me! You certainly nailed it.

Michelle @ Taste As You Go said...

I've roasted a whole turkey before, but never a whole chicken. Just chicken breasts. I'm going to have to try roasting a whole chicken now!

Quay Po Cooks said...

What a perfectly roasted bird you have there. Good Job. It has been sometime that I roasted one. Your post makes me want to do it again soon.