Monday, April 4, 2011

Herbed Baked Eggs with Kale and Bacon

Herbed Baked Eggs with Kale and Bacon

Baked eggs are a great way to use up whatever you have laying around your kitchen. In my case it was some herbs and bacon leftover from breakfast pizza. I wasn't in the mood for another pizza so this was the way to go. Since the kale gets cooked in the oven, I skipped the sauteing process called for in the original recipe. Since I don't have time to cook on weekday mornings, these baked eggs made a delicious, easy dinner on any weekday night and a new way to enjoy Herbed Baked Eggs

Herbed Baked Eggs with Kale and Bacon
(Adapted from Use Real Butter)

Makes 1-2 servings

1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh chives, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
1/4 cup kale, finely chopped
2-4 eggs (depending on how many people you're serving)
2 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Butter a couple of ramekins or a baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the cheese, rosemary, chives, and parsley. Sprinkle the bottom of each dish with some of the kale. Crack each egg into the dish, making sure not to break the yolks (which clearly I didn't do as evidenced by the picture). Season the eggs lightly with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the parmesan mixture over the eggs and top with the chopped bacon. Bake 15-20 minutes or until the egg whites are set. Serve immediately.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

lisa is cooking said...

I love baked eggs and should think to make them more often. These look great with the kale!

Erica said...

I just saw someone else make a similar Ina dish! Looks fantastic. So fresh. Hope you're doing well

susan said...

that's what I want when I come to your house for breakfast! could that be any more perfect?

Banana Wonder said...

Brilliant idea! I love your little casserole dish too :-)

Joanne said...

Oh this sounds like an awesome way to use up the ever-growing collection of herbs that I have wasting away in my fridge! Yum.

Rachel said...

Mmm, kale and bacon, the perfect combination! I'm always looking for new weekend breakfast ideas.

marla said...

We love baked eggs for it's flavor & simplicity!

Unknown said...

i have yet to make baked eggs, even though i've loved the idea since i first saw it. must try it soon!!

Diana said...

Is that baking dish from Sur La Table??? Because I think I have the same one in red. ;)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

That's a nice baking dish. Great new way to eat eggs. Looks delish.

Matt @ FaveDiets said...

I've made breakfast casseroles before, but I've never tried baked eggs like this. This dish looks really good, and I may have to try my hand at a variation of this soon.

Mindy said...

I love baked eggs, and I'm always looking for a new way to use up kale. I'm going to make this next time I need a quick meal! (Which could be tonight.)

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love baked eggs - these look delicious!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

omg, that's too pretty for words!!!

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

this looks wonderful! i've added it to my list of things to try!! yum!!