Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Asian-Style 3 Bean Salad

It's hot. According to our (crazy, drunken) meterologist you can't call it "very hot" until it is over 105 degrees and since I don't in the valley (thank god), I can't call it a "very hot", but it is still pretty freaking hot in Los Angeles and looks to be this way for at least the rest of the week. Last weekend I was watching a repeat of Ellie Krieger and she made this awesome salad. As I said a few days ago, I have received more requests for vegetarian and warm weather foods and this fits both of those bills. Be sure that when you do this, you get pre-shelled edamame. I didn't and it wasn't too much fun standing over the trash with this (I need to look in to composting) I'm not such a huge fan of ginger so I cut down on the canola oil and added a little toasted sesame oil instead. This would be excellent with some toasted sesame seeds if you go the same route!

Asian-Style 3 Bean Salad
(adapted from Ellie Krieger)

Makes 2 servings

8 oz frozen organic string beans
6 oz edamame, shelled
1/2 15 oz can organic black beans
1 tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp organic apricot orange preserves (I used the Trader Joe's brand)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 scallions, sliced
1/4 tsp salt

Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add frozen string beans and boil for about 2 minutes. Drain and place in an ice bath or in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, remove edamame from their shells and drain and rinse black beans.

In a separate bowl whisk together canola oil, vinegar, apricot preserves, sesame oil and salt. Add the beans and the scallions and combine until well coated. Serve chilled.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: