Monday, June 30, 2008

Homemade Granola

I swear those folks at The Kitchn can read my mind. Last night I made granola and this morning I was getting ready to post it when I noticed their article about breakfast. I usually make a quick breakfast in the morning and then take something to munch on during the morning at work. I only do this during the week days though because weekends are a free for all. A while ago I saw the recipe for granola with chocolate and the pictures were so pretty, I wanted to make some for myself!


Granola with Chocolate
(Adapted from Orangette via Fresh from the Oven)

3 c organic old fashioned oats
1/2 c slivered toasted almonds
2 tbsp granulated sugar
pinch of salt
6 tbsp mild honey
2 tbsp canola oil
5 bars 70% dark Belgian chocolate (available at Trader Joe's)

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees

In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, sugar, and salt. Stir well to blend

In a small saucepan, warm the honey and oil over low heat, stirring occasionally. Pour over the dry ingredients, and stir well to combine.

Spread the mixture evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. When it is ready, remove the pan from the oven, stir well (to prevent it from cooling into a solid sheet) and cooled completely.

When cool, transfer the granola into a large bowl or a large plastic bag. Add the chocolate and stir (or shake if using a bag).

Store in an airtight container.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

ShellyH said...

yummy! I will have to give this a try too (minus the almonds since I am allergic to them). Any suggestions on what I could substitute the almonds with?

Welcome to the foodie blog roll!

A_and_N said...

This sounds as good as "Nature Valley" or "Quaker", if not better :)

Esi said...

Shelly - I think walnuts would be a good substitution if you're not allergic.