Sunday, June 1, 2008

Analletti wtih Green Garlic, Anchovy and Dill Breadcrumbs

This weekend I found myself thinking what I was going to eat instead of waiting for the week to just happen, I should actually prepare for it. Since it can be hard for me to decide what to eat on any given day, I generally don't cook until I get inspired by something that I have seen that day. That means several trips to the grocery store every week. Actually, it is more like everyday. I go so often, the sales people know where I work and say hello to me when I walk down the street. So, in preparing for our week, Raul and I made a trip to the Beverly Hills Farmers' Market and filled our canvas totes with amazingly fresh, organic and locally grown produce. I discovered my new favorite ingredient green garlic and bought a bunch without really knowing what I was going to do with it. A quick search of some food sites yielded very little so I decided to combine several recipes into one.

Analletti Pasta with Green Garlic, Anchovy Sauce and Dill Breadcrumbs
(Adapted from Emerald City and Gourmet)

Makes (at least) 2 servings

1/2 lb Analletti pasta (available at Trader Joes)
1 c bread crumbs
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
2 bulbs green garlic, chopped
1 oz flat anchovy fillets drained*
1/2 or more (to taste) dried red pepper flakes

Heat a little bit of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, then cook bread crumbs stirring constantly until deep golden brown and crisp.

Transfer bread crumbs to a bowl and toss with dill and salt and pepper to taste and set aside. Wipe out the skillet and cook green garlic with salt and pepper and about 2 tbsp olive oil over low heat stirring frequently until soft add anchovies and mash them into the green garlic with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until soft - this will be anywhere from 8 to 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook analletti in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Save about 1/4 c of pasta water and then drain.

Stir in red pepper flakes and reserved water into the anchovy sauce, then add pasta and toss to combine. Add about half of the bread crumbs and toss again. Serve with remaining bread crumbs and grated parmesean if desired.

*People always freak out about seeing a recipe that calls for anchovies, but trust me...they are delish. Wonderfully salty and not fishy at all, just try it and you'll love it. If not, just use extra salt and pepper.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

I'm the exact same way! I stop at the grocery store almost every day for "inspiration". Everyone there knows me and if I miss a few days, they notice! Fortunately, I only live a few blocks from my market so it is really convenient for me.

Great job with the pasta dish! It's one of my favorites.

Esi said...

Thanks! Yes, lucky for me there are two grocery stores on the corner - bad for my wallet though!