Sunday, June 22, 2008

New World Quinoa Salad

So by now you know my Sunday tradition is to go to the Beverly Hills Farmer's Market and then come home and cook for the week. It was hot as balls again today, but Raul and I still managed to make the trek. I am adoring quinoa and it is great for my weekday lunches. It's fast and you can use it in so many different ways. I also got caught up in a marathon of the fabulous BBC program "You Are What You Eat"so I knew my lunches for this week had to be good for me so Gillian wouldn't hop on a plane and come yell at me that I am killing myself with my diet. I wanted to eat this the second I finished making it, but I managed to restrain myself and only have a little spoonful. Initially I was a little worried that I wouldn't enjoy the combination of spices, but I loved them and I am adding this recipe to my quinoa repertoire.

New World Quinoa Salad
(adapted from Red Ramekin)

1/2 c organic quinoa, rinsed
1/2 c water
1/2 c organic, free-range chicken broth
3/4 small red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c frozen organic peas, thawed
1/4 c organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 c cilantro, chopped
juice from one lime
drizzle organic olive oil
cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan bring quinoa, chicken broth and water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover, cook for 10-12 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool. At the same time saute red onion in olive oil over medium until it begins to caramelize, about ten minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute and set aside to cool.

Once quinoa and the onion mixture are cooled, mix together with black beans and peas until well combined. Add lime juice, olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper and mix until well combined. Add cilantro and serve chilled.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: