Friday, June 27, 2008

Venetian Rolled Pizza

I had the day off today!! Don't hate, I had to spend part of it taking my friends to the airport and running errands, but now the day and weekend are completely mine!! Last week's episode of "Everyday Italian" was about cooking for kids. I act like a kid a lot so of course the recipes appealed to me. Especially this one. I knew before I made it, that I wanted to add some kind of garlic flavor. I thought about doing a garlic paste that Jamie Oliver had used once, but then right there in Trader Joes, I found this lovely Garlic and Herb Pizza dough. WOWZA!! Like most recipes, I halved it, but I kinda wish I had made the whole thing. It's perfect for a casual get together with friends or to sit down and watch movies like I am probably going to do the rest of the day.

Venetian Rolled Pizza
(adapted from Giada De Laurentiis)

Flour for dusting
1/2 lb Garlic and Herb Pizza Dough (available at Trader Joes)
4 oz organic shredded mozzarella cheese
3 slices prosciutto
1/2 c organic baby spinach
1 tbsp organic olive oil
Kosher salt for seasoning

Position a rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.

On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pizza dough to about a 6 inch diameter circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella over the dough. Lay the prosciutto over the cheese in a single layer, folding over the ends if necessary. Sprinkle with spinach and top with the remaining cheese. Take one end of the circle and roll the dough up into a thin cylinder. Place the dough seam side down on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil sprinkle with salt. Bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown. Allow the pizza to cool for 10 minutes. Using a serrated knife, cut the pizza into 3/4 inch pieces and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious. I just love spinach in pizza and together with the herb base sounds great!

test it comm said...

That looks tasty. I like the sound of a rolled pizza.

vanillasugarblog said...

No kidding Trader Joe's has that pizza dough? I'll have to look for it. Frozen section I imagine?
This rolled pizza looks so easy and so tasty. Thanks for sharing.

Esi said...

The pizza dough was in the refrigerated section with the salads and pizzas to go. I had actually picked out plain dough when I found the flavored one!

Erica said...

Great Blog! I can't wait to try this pizza roll- how fun!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious and perfect for snacking on during a movie. Giada has some great recipes, yum!