Monday, June 16, 2008

Spiced Roasted Chickpeas

I am trying to eat better during the week (and indulge on the weekends). I have been making lunches so I don't go out and spend more money than necessary and bringing fruits and veggies to work to munch on between meals. Sometimes, I want something that tastes a little naughty, but is still good for me. Chickpeas are high in iron and protein and the added crunch from roasting them makes you feel like you're eating chips!

Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
(from Anne's Food via Cheap Healthy Good)

1 15 oz can organic chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
1 tsp organic olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
few dashes of cayenne pepper (I used about 7)
1 heaping tsp cumin

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and pat dry. Place chickpeas on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Shake sheet (carefully) about halfway through.

Take out chickpeas and place in a bowl. Add oil, salt, cayenne and cumin and mix well. Turn peas back onto the baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 to 15 minutes until bronzed and crunchy.

These came out great for me even though I should have kept them in the oven a little longer for the second go-round. Note, it's probably not the best idea to make these when it is 90 degrees outside and you live in a small apartment.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Erica said...

I gave this recipe a shout out on my blog- soooo delicious!!