Sunday, June 1, 2008

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa

Last month at our Mexican potluck, my dear friend Kelly made this amazing salad. It was such a wonderful contrast with all of the other food which frankly, in the end made me feel as though I had gained 40 more unnecessary pounds on my already full frame. Lucky for me, she sent me the recipe and I am so excited to have this as a weekday lunch. It is so quick and easy to make, I will be doing this one often.

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa
(adapted from Epicurious)

Makes 2 servings

zest of 1/2 lime
juice of 2 limes
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 c quinoa
1/2 can of black beans drained and rinsed
1 tomato, chopped
2 scallions chopped
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

Whisk together lime zest, juice, sugar, oil, 1/4 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper in a large bowl.

Prepare quinoa according to package instructions with 1 tsp salt. Fluff quinoa with a fork and add to dressing. Toss to make sure it is well coated and add black beans, cilantro, and tomatoes. Check for seasonings and serve at room temperature.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I made it onto your blog!! I want to make this one again and maybe throw some chicken in it...so yummy with it's lime goodness. I heart you. :)

Esi said...

I was thinking about adding some grilled chicken too!! I love this recipe so much, thanks for introducing me to it!