Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Chipotle Day

For our Quatro de Mayo feast I made this deliciousness but it left me with a lot of leftover chipotle in adobo. It sat in my freezer while I thought of a way I could use it. Then last week it came to me...chipotle turkey burger!! My friend Raul makes amazing turkey burgers and instead of using a bun, he wraps them in cabbage. It's great because cabbage is sturdier than lettuce and you don't miss the bun at all. After my trip to the Beverly Hills Farmer's Market I concocted my creation. I don't remember the exact measurements because I rarely measure anything unless I am baking (which is rare), but this was one tasty, spicy burger. Enjoy!

Chipotle Lime Turkey Burger

1/2 lb ground turkey
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 small red onion, chopped
2 or 3 chipotles in adobo plus extra sauce
pinch of cumin
salt
pepper
2 cabbage leaves
whatever toppings you desire on your burger - for mine I used tomato slices from the market, colby cheese and bacon (mmmm...bacon)

Combine all the ingredients in the turkey and grill till done. Seriously, it's that simple. Like I said, this came out amazing, but I may make a couple of changes. I craved a little sweetness with this burger so maybe next time I will use some ketuchup as a topping or carmelize the onions, or some honey to the turkey mixture. I still have more than half of this burger mixture left and I can't wait to use it!

Chipotle Orange Shrimp Skewers
(adapted from Food Network)

1 lb shrimp peeled with tails on
2 oranges - zest and juice one and just juice from the other
1 tbsp chopped chipotle in adobo plus extra sauce
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 c cilantro plus extra for garnish

Combine all ingredients and let shrimp marinate for about 20 minutes. Skewer shrimp (if using bamboo skewers make sure they have been soaked in water for at least 30 minutes so they don't burn) and grill on a hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro if desired.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Maria said...

Great meal, looks very tasty!

Cheri Sicard said...

Sounds really great. I always have extra chipotles too, so I freeze them in ice cube trays, then keep in a zipper top food bag in the freezer, that way it's it's easy to use them all and just got a smaller amount.