Thursday, May 29, 2008

Cheddar Dill Scones

I hate doing laundry. I really do. I schedule a time to do it, but I can usually find a way to get out of it. It's just such a pain living in an apartment without a washer/dryer hookup. Getting it all together, lugging it down the elevator and then praying the machines are not in use...I can find much better things to do with my time. Today was no exception. I have tons of dill leftover from our Greek potluck and I have been wanting to try Ina's cheddar dill scones for a while. I don't know what it is with me and scones this week, but it is a recipe I am determined to master in every possible way. Just a note, this recipe makes a lot of scones. I saved half of it and froze it to use at a later date. These scones are delicate and flavorful. I may try adding some garlic flavor in the future, but for now, these are just perfect.

Cheddar Dill Scones
(adapted from Ina Garten)

4 cups plus 1 tbps all-purpose flour, divided
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
3/4 lb cold unsalted butter, diced
4 large eggs, beaten slightly
1 c 2% milk
8 oz extra sharp shredded cheddar
1 c minced fresh dill
1 egg beaten with one tbsp milk for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Combine 4 cups flour, the baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and mix until butter is in pea-sized pieces*. Mix the eggs and milk quickly and add them to the flour and butter mixture. Combine until just blended. In a separate bowl, toss together the cheddar and dill with 1 tbsp flour and then add them to the dough. Mix until they are almost incorporated.

Dump the dough on a well-floured surfrace and knead for 1 minute until the cheddar and dill are well distributed. Roll the dough 3/4 inch thick. Using a flour-rimmed glass, cut the dough and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush the tops with egg wash. Bake 20-25 minutes until the outside is crusty and the inside is fully baked.

*I did this by hand since I don't have a mixer, but if you are lucky enough to have a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, this process will go by a lot quicker.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: