Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chickpea and Slow Roasted Tomato Stew with Kale and Chorizo

Chickpea and Slow Roasted Tomato Stew with Kale and Chorizo

I mentioned the other day that I'm thrilled that fall has finally arrived in Southern California. I'm loving the cool, drizzly weather we've been experiencing this week. This past Sunday was especially lazy, but a large project was looming in the back of my mind. I just signed up for The Kitchn's Fall 2010 Kitchen Cure. The task this week is to clean out our fridges, freezers, and pantries. I'm of the anal where I actually do this regularly anyway, but I still had some things lurking in my freezer that desperately needed to be used. I haven't really known what to do with my latest batch of slow roasted tomatoes, but as I was attempting to take a nap on Saturday afternoon, a great idea came to me. Originally I thought I would make my soup again, but instead, I decided to kill a few birds with one stone. I could use my tomatoes, some chickpeas, chorizo, onions, and garlic I all had in my kitchen as well as expedite the task of cleaning things out.  I absolutely love to do this kind of cooking, especially at this time of year so I had a lot of fun making this. As usual with my recipes, I give exact measurements, but feel free to play around with the flavors to make this your own. I can't wait to make more soups and stews this fall and winter. 




Chickpea and Slow Roasted Tomato Stew with Kale and Chorizo
(By Esi)

Makes 4 servings

1 cup crumbled Mexican chorizo
1 small onion, chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups slow roasted tomatoes, pureed (about 1 1/2 cups of puree)
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dry red wine
Salt and pepper to taste
2-15 ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 pound kale, rinsed, leaves roughly chopped
Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
Toasted bread for serving


Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until the fat has rendered and the chorizo is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the chorizo from the pan using a slotted spoon, leaving the fat behind.

Add the onions and cook 4-5 minutes until the onions have softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.

Add the tomato puree, chili flakes, water, and wine. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Add the chickpeas to the pan. Bring the tomato and chickpea mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until the mixture has thickened slightly.

Stir the kale into the skillet. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until the kale has wilted, but still has some bite.  Add the reserved chorizo back to the pan and stir to combine. Taste again and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve warm with toasted bread to soak up the juices.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm my stomach growled at the thought of this!

Becca

Maria said...

Great stew for fall!

Amanda said...

Looks fantastic... hearty and healthy!

Olga said...

perfection! you know I'd add a poached egg on top, but that's just me :)

The Urban Baker said...

i am so making this! this is mouthwatering! i love all your recipes, esi!! xxx

Pam said...

This is a must try. Love chickpeas and it looks delicious.

Banana Wonder said...

This is amazing! I am sooooo making this. Thanks for the recipe. Love the garbanzos, greens and choriz. Spicy things will keep me warm and peppy up here in cold country.

Joanne said...

This recipe makes me so super duper happy! I love the idea of smoky chorizo mixed with the fresher flavors of kale and chickpeas. and man I need to clean out my kitchen. Oy.

Brooke said...

This looks so homey and good. Can't wait to make this recipe.

vanillasugarblog said...

i never clean out my fridge; i throw stuff out and you would hate me

Zoe said...

Look chickpeas but didn't have many recipes to cook it...this would be a great idea!

La Bella Cooks said...

Send some of that cool weather up here, will you? Your stew looks gorgeous and sounds perfect for the (someday) coming Fall. Delicious.

Angela said...

I love how you eat. A lot of "bowls" of rustic but delicious food. And, so healthy.

Joie de vivre said...

I signed up for the kitchen cure too. The fridge and the pantry had been recently cleaned so they weren't too tough to tackle, but the freezer (*shudder*). That took some cleaning! It was very freeing though, you know? I'm glad you found a wonderful use for your slow roasted tomatoes!

Diana said...

Making up my own recipes with what I have and what I like (ahem, quinoa) is my favorite thing to do too! This stew looks great! I'm going to have to break out of my quinoa box and try it!

Unknown said...

sounds like a perfect use for those slow-roasted tomatoes!! yummy :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oh this looks good!

Kerstin said...

This is my kind of meal - hearty, healthy, and easy to whip up on a weeknight - love it!

Simones Kitchen said...

It looks absolutely delicious ! I love meals like this!

Liz Johnson said...

I have made this several times and everybody loves it - even my 2 little kids! Thank you so much!

Esi said...

Hi Liz, so happy to hear you enjoy this recipe :)