Monday, October 4, 2010

Bacon Kimchi Fried Rice

Bacon Kimchi Fried Rice
 
I first came across this recipe via Serious Eats, but discovered it was adapted from the fabulous Momofuku for 2 blog. As many of you know by now, I'm a fried rice a-holic. I love it and can eat it any time. I never find myself with leftover white rice, because I don't really eat a lot of white rice so I prepped the rice along with most of the other ingredients the night before. I prefer to do that so that the rice cooking can go quickly and smoothly. I also prefer to have certain things like garlic and oyster sauce in my fried rice so I had to adapt it for my taste. I love the balance of the fatty bacon with the acidic kimchi in here. I drained most of the bacon fat after reading that the Serious Eats version felt too fatty. For me, it was just perfect and I loved it so much, I made it again a week later! I'm running low on kimchi and some other Korean ingredients so it looks like I'm going to have to make another field trip to Koreatown very soon!


Bacon Kimchi Fried Rice
(Adapted from Serious Eats and Momofuku for 2)

4 slices bacon, chopped
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cold cooked rice (preferably from the day before)
1 tablespoon kimchi liquid
Oyster sauce to taste
Soy sauce to taste
3/4 cup kimchi, drained and chopped (save the liquid)
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 eggs, lightly scrambled
Salt and pepper to taste

Add the bacon to the wok and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook the bacon until crisp and remove from the pan using a slotted spoon. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the wok and drain the rest.

Add the onion to the pan and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook just until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the rice and toss to combine making sure to smooth out any clumps in the rice. Add oyster sauce and soy sauce to the rice, adjusting the seasonings to taste. If necessary add salt.

Add the kimchi, peas, and scrambled eggs, and bacon to the rice and toss well to combine. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments:

Erica said...

There is something about scrambled eggs mixed with rice that is so satisfying...makes me want this for dinner :)

Olga said...

ooh! I am planning on making kimchi...now I know one of the things I can do with it.

The Food Librarian said...

This is the ultimate comfort food. Especially with the fall weather this week! - mary

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} said...

Great ingredient combo - "fatty bacon with the acidic kimchi" perfect. Need to grab myself some kimchi to give this recipe a whirl.

Maria said...

I haven't made fried rice in a long time. Looks great.

Unknown said...

Great recipe. My husband would love this one.

vanillasugarblog said...

mmm all the goodies in a bowl, all nicely combined together. perfect. it's gross really how much kimchi i eat & what i mix it with.

Joanne said...

Fried rice is some serious good stuff, especially when infused with these out-of-the-ordinary fried rice ingredients. Delicious.

Unknown said...

looks great! i need to try some korean ingredients... it seems like i'm missing out :)

Simones Kitchen said...

I agree that fried rice is just so good and in fact I am gonna make this for dinner tomorrow!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

i need to make it to Koreatown i have yet to shop around there! let me know when you have your field trip :)

Vicki said...

Bacon and kimchi are the perfect combo! I made an egg salad sandwich with them mixed in, and it was the best I ever had. Need to try fried rice...

Diana said...

You'll have to let me know the next time you hit up the Korean market so I can score some kimchi too! Don't worry, I won't waste it on quinoa. ;)

Kelly said...

I'm licking my lips over here. Fried rice is something I already love and with the addition of bacon I'm thinking it sounds even more fab.

Chef Fresco said...

Great fried rice recipe! Looks delicious!

Memória said...

Oh my word!! This dish looks so tempting. Goodness!!

Jenn said...

Two words: Bacon and Kimchi. I'm sold!!!!!

Thistlemoon said...

I love all the ingredients here! Kimchi and bacon! YUM!

M. said...

I need to start making some fried rice recipes this fall, they sound so comforting :)

Pam said...

This looks delicious! Love kimchi and and will have to try this. Thanks!