Monday, October 18, 2010

Pesto Quinoa with Tomatoes, Chicken, Arugula and Red Currants

Pesto Quinoa with Tomatoes, Chicken, Arugula and Red Currants

I'm so happy that fall has finally settled in to Southern California. The skies are overcast and it's been drizzling for three days straight...I couldn't be happier!!  The farmers market is bursting with fall produce, but there are still plenty of summer finds. A few weeks ago, I found a pint of red currants. I couldn't really find any recipes that I wanted to make with them so I just threw them into this salad. It totally worked because this salad is really more of a method than an actual recipe. Thanks to Diana, pesto stirred into quinoa is my new obsession.  Measurements here are vague because it's really all to taste. Add what you want, take away what you don't like.



Pesto Quinoa with Tomatoes, Chicken, Arugula, and Red Currants
(By Esi)

Makes 2 generous servings

1 cup cooked quinoa, at room temperature
2 tablespoons pesto
Olive oil as needed
2 chicken breasts or thighs, cooked, cooled to room temperature, and sliced
Handful cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
2-3 handfuls baby arugula
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful red currants, picked off the vine
1-2 tablespoons crumbled feta

In a large bowl, toss the quinoa with the pesto. Add olive oil as needed if the mixture seems too dry. Add the chicken, tomatoes, and arugula. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the quinoa on a plate or in a bowl and top each plate with some of the currants and feta.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

That looks absolutely fabulous!

lisa is cooking said...

I love a mix of vegetables (and/or fruit) with quinoa! Wish I could find red currants locally, and wish our weather were just a tiny bit more fall-like.

Elisabeth said...

I love the Pesto Quinoa recipe, and beautiful photo. What a delish idea to add chicken to it. So healthy, and satisfying!

The Urban Baker said...

Esi - that looks totally and completely delicious!!! healthy and yummy!

Joanne said...

I've only ever come across baked goods recipes for red currants. What an interesting way to use them! It really lets their tartness shine through.

Maria said...

I love the red currants in this salad!

Diana said...

Pesto + Quinoa = Match made in Heaven. :) Glad you agree!

vanillasugarblog said...

you turned me on to wheatberries, from last fall i think? anywho, i finally tried them and i liked them. now, we need to get me to eat more WINOA. (i love to call it that).

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} said...

I love recipes with ingredients "to taste" that is so my style. I enjoy tossings things together according to whim. The currants are a nice touch for color, texture & flavor. xo

Banana Wonder said...

Diana is good a swirling things, ie, pb in oats, pesto in quinoa, etc. This looks and sounds delicious and I love the currant addition. I'm glad Fall has come forth down south!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

between you and D i'm seriously going to have to get on this quinoa train!

Unknown said...

Great recipe. It looks good.

Chef Fresco said...

Love this quiona recipe! Really wonderful choice of ingredients!

Simones Kitchen said...

I should have seen this earlier as I was looking for a quinoa recipe the other day. But since I still have loads of quinoa leftover... guess what I will be making next!