Monday, March 2, 2009

Carrot Fennel and Orange Soup

Just another manic Monday! Did you guys have a good weekend? I have a secret. In the last week or so I have succumbed to work stress. I'm not sleeping regularly, I haven't been eating properly and when I do eat, it's mostly stuff that's not so great for me. To make matters worse, I have totally fallen off the workout wagon and we had a super decadent potluck over the weekend. Of course the potluck was to celebrate a very happy occasion so I can't really complain about it, but my body is definitely asking me to be nicer to it. I did do a yoga workout on Saturday that I am still feeling, but I know I need to put some better eats into my bod and immediately. When I was searching through recipes to make this week, I knew this one would be one of the first. It's so simple. The biggest effort comes from peeling carrots. If you're like me and don't have an immersion blender, transferring the soup to a regular blender also takes a smidge of effort. It's totally worth it because it's really tasty and surprisingly filling. The best part, it's relatively low in fat per serving and you're getting tons of veggies and a nice vitamin C kick from the orange. You should have seen me yesterday. I still managed to get up and go to the farmers market despite having gone to bed at 3AM, but after I got home, I decided to lay down for a nap. I didn't actually sleep, but by 8 I was completely wiped out. Not such a good way to end the weekend if you ask me. Luckily, I had just enough energy to make this soup and now I have a way healthier lunch to bring to work today than a Gardenburger with cheese...and fries.

Carrot Fennel and Orange Soup
(Adapted from Taste of Pace)

Makes 2-3 servings

1 1/2 pounds (approx) carrots, peeled and sliced
1 fennel bulb, stalk removed and bulb thinly sliced (reserve fronds for garnish)
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock (I used chicken)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Zest and juice from 1/2 orange
3 tablespoons plain yogurt (I used nonfat)

Heat a large pot over medium heat and add oil. Add the fennel, carrots, and garlic, season with salt and pepper and saute until softened 5-10 minutes. Add stock and season with more salt and pepper if necessary. Cover the pot and simmer about 20 minutes until the vegetables are softened. Remove the soup from heat and stir in the orange juice, zest, and yogurt. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Puree the soup with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender) until smooth. Reheat if necessary and serve warm, garnished with fennel fronds.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Diana said...

That sounds really great! I love that the ingredients are so simple too! I bet the orange and carrot combination is really tasty -- I'm going to need to bookmark this one!

I was totally dead yesterday too -- went to bed at 9:30 last night!! Could barely keep my eyes open!

The Food Librarian said...

Esi, that looks like a bowl full of goodness. I'm sure it will get your body back on your side! But get enough sleep and take care!

Heather said...

wow! that is one healthy and tasty sounding soup!! i love the addition of orange - citrus always adds such a nice kick :)

Anonymous said...

Carrot and fennel--what a great combo! There's nothing like a great soup to comfort....

The Blonde Duck said...

This looks like it'd cure any food hangover!

Reeni said...

It's so vibrant and healthy looking. And comforting and flavorful! I hope this soothed your stress and helped you feel better!

Erica said...

yum! I was just listening to something talking about how orange foods greatly decrease a woman's risk for breast cancer! Hope work lightens up this week!

Unknown said...

This looks so gorgeous!!! and now that i tried fennel and liked it, i'm totally game :) going on my to-try list!

Esi said...

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to try and take better care of myself this week.

Paula said...

Oh Esi, this is terrific! I love what you've done here with the veggies, fruit, and yogurt! This goes on my soup to make list. YUM!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious, and it looks so bright and lovely!

Anonymous said...

Just had carrot dill soup last night. The fennel sounds even better.

veggie belly said...

this soup has such brilliant color!