Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pork with Chives

Pork with Chives

Here's the recipe that I served the peanut slaw with. Looks good, huh? It could not have been easier. I saw this recipe literally minutes after I saw the slaw recipe and thought they would be so good together. Turns out, I was right. Once all of the ingredients are ready, this comes together very quickly so it is a perfect weeknight meal or quick Sunday lunch in my case. It's also really tasty and probably healthier than something you get at a takeout place. The chives are very mild so if you are looking for a more pronounced onion flavor, I would suggest using green onions instead. The sauce is nice and flavorful and the rice helped soak up the saucy goodness. I froze the pork for about twenty minutes before I sliced it. This helped me get the nice thin slices you see above. I highly recommend this dish and you can certainly play with the flavors a bit. I think it would be great with some grated fresh ginger or toasted sesame oil.

Pork with Chives
(Adapted from Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China as found on Serious Eats)

Makes 2 servings

1/2 pound boneless lean pork, such as loin or trimmed chops, thinly sliced into 1 1/2-by-1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
Large pinch red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
A large handful of chives, cut into 2-inch lengths
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

In a small bowl, combine the pork and cornstarch and mix to coat the meat well. Set aside for 30 minutes to 2 hours (refrigerate, covered, if letting stand for longer than 30 minutes).

When ready to proceed, place a wok over high heat. When it is hot, add the oil and swirl a little. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 10-20 seconds. Be careful not to let the garlic burn. Toss in the pork and stir-fry vigorously until all the pork has changed color, about 3 minutes. Add the salt and chives and stir-fry for another minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the soy sauce and stir briefly, until the sauce thickens. Taste for seasonings, and adjust if necessary.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Kana said...

Recipes like these are wonderful because one can just throw it together after a long day at the office.

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic - very flavorful, but not a pain to make.

Erica said...

Another beautiful dish. Have you ever considered working for a food magazine?

Diana said...

Oh this sounds really great! I just realized the other night that I don't cook with pork enough! I need to bring some other white meat into my life.... stat!

vanillasugarblog said...

oh yes that would be good with fresh ginger. the smell alone is intoxicating (did I spell that right?)

Esi said...

Maya and Fearless, this is perfect for after work!

Erica, all the time!!

Diana, I am rediscovering the other white meat. Love it.

Dawn, yes you spelled that right! :)

Heather said...

ohh, yum. i love pork. i think it is such an underrated meat - and it sounds like the perfect accompaniment to the slaw!

Anonymous said...

Always looking for easy ways to make pork ("the other white meat"). Thank you!

The Food Librarian said...

damn. this looks so good. so good.

Reeni said...

This looks wonderful! The Pork looks so tender, I love it sliced thin like this.

Kerstin said...

Gorgeous picture - it looks flavorful and healthy!

Pearl said...

my gosh - your photos are incredible. that looks so good!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Everything about this sounds delicious! Lovely photo too.