Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Crunchy Peanut Slaw

Crunchy Peanut Slaw

As usual, I was planning my weekly meals and this recipe popped up on The Kitchn, followed by another one on Serious Eats and I knew I had to add them both to my weekly plan immediately. I have never been a huge coleslaw eater, but I have really come to love cabbage in the last few months. This recipe does not disappoint. It's a snap to prepare and really tasty. I used garlic roasted peanuts I get at the farmers market for snacks. I think shelling the peanuts was probably the biggest work in making this salad. It was so good and crunchy with that always awesome combination of salty and sweet. I think next time I will sub honey or agave nectar for the sugar, but it was still good. I don't think I shredded the cabbage as thinly as I could have, but I honestly don't think it took away from the pleasure of eating the salad. I served it as a side dish to a wonderful stir fry that I will be sharing with you tomorrow so stay tuned.



Crunchy Peanut Slaw
(Adapted from The Kitchn)

Makes 4 servings

For the salad:
1/2 medium head green cabbage, outer leaves removed
3/4 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts
3 green onions
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Dressing:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (or more, to taste)
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce (or more, to taste)

Shred the cabbage very finely. Toss with the peanuts in a large bowl. Chop the scallions, including the green and white parts. Toss the scallions and chopped cilantro with the cabbage.

Whisk the dressing until emulsified, then taste and adjust to your own preferences of sweetness and saltiness.

Toss with the cabbage. Garnish with a few more peanuts and green onions and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd say this about a dish containing raw cabbage and cilantro, but it is absolutely picturesque

Erica said...

I love this kind of slaw (using a vinegar sauce base vs. mayo). Sounds really interesting with the peanut add in.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love slaws, what a great recipe.

Diana said...

I love this! And I love that I have all the ingredients on hand for that dressing! Sounds really fresh and delicious. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

That's nifty!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so fresh and delicious! The crunch of the peanuts and the veggies must be great.

Anonymous said...

Nuts are just great in salads. I use a lot of pine nuts, pistachios and cashews, which I sometimes "candy." But never peanuts. Great idea, thanks.

vanillasugarblog said...

peanuts sounds like the perfect addition here; I totally love this Esi!

Donna-FFW said...

What an originl and unique slaw. You always choose the most interesting recipes to make!!And they always look so delicious!

Heather said...

mmm. that sounds delicious. i love cabbage and vinegar together. looks delicious!

Reeni said...

It's so fresh and pretty looking. Love the peanuts in it!

Anonymous said...

Laughing. I've been looking for braised cabbage recipes and I get side-tracked (of course...) and see this. Wow. Fabulous salad. What a great idea. And your farmer's market has garlic peanuts? Wonder how I could make those?

Esi said...

Nick - It's a polarizing ingredient, but I adore gobs of cilantro!

Diana - I think you will like it.

Lisa - I adore crunchy salads like this.

Kelly - I'm not quite sure how the people at the farmers market get the peanuts to taste so delicious, but they are roasted and unsalted and absolutely amazing. The garlic flavor manages to seep through the shells, but it's not overpowering, just totally delicious.

Erica said...

I'm always here for you! Email me if you need ANYTHING- itzyskitchen at gmail dot com!!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

That sounds so yummy. I love how it's different- well different than any slaw I make. Sounds delish!

Hayley said...

This sounds wonderful. I love all of the flavors you have going on here. Plus, no mayo! hThanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

this looks great!!

Anonymous said...

I am making this one for tomorrow's lunch. I have everthing in my kitchen. Yum.