Thursday, March 5, 2009

Eggs on Baby Spinach with Peas and Brie

Eggs on Baby Spinach with Peas and Brie

Did you guys watch the TC Reunion last night? Hooray for Fabio! As if we had any doubt he would be fan favorite. Honestly though, this was a pretty dull season. I didn't even remember some of the chefs who were there! Well, I am glad it's Thursday...just one step closer to the weekend. If the "cold" and rain continue here in SoCal, I have a feeling I am going to be staying in and cooking up a storm. I have a few things up my sleeve so stay tuned. This salad is one of those things I saw on TasteSpotting and immediately added to my weekly meal plan. I usually have most of these ingredients on hand so I felt a little less guilty about splurging on an American Brie just to make this salad (it was a better deal than the Camebert called for in the original recipe). I was unsure of what kind of vinegar to use so I just went with balsamic since this type of vinaigrette is one of my favorites. It's easy, fast and so delicious. It's another one of those dishes that you wouldn't necessarily think to put these ingredients together, but when you do it works really well.

Eggs on Baby Spinach with Peas and Brie
(Adapted from Lucullian Delights)

Serves one

1 egg, boiled and quartered
Large handful baby spinach
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
Brie cheese, cut into pieces
Dijon mustard
Balsamic vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper

Make the salad dressing by combining the Dijon, balsamic, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Make the dressing as strong or weak as you want.

Mix the spinach and the peas and add some of the dressing. Toss gently to combine.

Put the salad on plates and then put eggs and Brie on top. Drizzle with a bit of the extra dressing and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 comments:

veggie belly said...

spinach, you said? with brie?!! spectacular! i want some now!

Joie de vivre said...

Yum, yum, yum! I've been CRAVING spinach and eggs for breakfast this week. This is added to my list of must try recipes!

Erica said...

totally missed the reunion! I haven't even seen the actual finale because we didn't have tv hooked up grrrr.

This looks awesome. Love that it had a good deal of protein involved too (eggs and cheese).

Can't wait to see what you cook up this weekend!

Diana said...

Your hard boiled eggs always look perfect! How long do you let them "rest" for in the hot water?

The Food Librarian said...

This salad looks fantastic. I loved the segment of Fabio being Italian and charming!

vanillasugarblog said...

I went to bed so early last night as I'm an old fart.
This is a salad I would totally eat as I love brie. Lots of good protein in here!
Thanks again for your help on the whole photo submissions. It worked perfectly--I was always wondering why a lot got rejected: wrong size!

Esi said...

So yummy! You all should try it :)

Diana, I bring the water up to a boil, then reducer to low, cover and wait for ten minutes. I used to do 20 minutes, but sometimes that was too much. Works every time!

Dawn, I totally watch the east coast feed so I saw it when I got home from work. It's also because I have to save room on my dvr for Lost and Damages :)

Unknown said...

i haven't caught up with my dvr yet... this looks very yummy, and i don't eat enough brie :)

Donna-FFW said...

Oh, yum, spinach, brie, hard boiled eggs. Sounds and looks fantastic!! Love the whole salad, peas too!!5 stars!

Heather said...

yum! that looks delicious! i love brie :)

Anonymous said...

We've got brie in the fridge just waiting for a baguette. Yum!

Reeni said...

Another delicious dish, with a nice generous dose of brie, Yum!!! The reunion was sooooo boring. I was happy for Fabio, though and forgot some of the chefs from the beginning of the show, too.

Dee said...

Gorgeous salad. The peas are something I wouldn't have thought of.

Olga said...

ooh, that looks so totally good! Too bad I finished my brie a few days ago b/c otherwise I would have had most of the ingredients.

Stefan was my favorite by far. I'm sad he did not win.

I actually assisted Carla a few times years ago when whe taught cooking classes at Sur la Table.

Jessica604 said...

Eggs and spinach and brie? Oh my!
I'm so glad that spring is around the corner!

test it comm said...

That is a really nice looking salad!

Anonymous said...

I love spinach salad with egg - never thought to try brie! Maybe some prosciutto or bacon too? Thanks for the inspiration :)

Cheap Cell Phone said...

Now this looks amazing!! I love the presentation of your food, I don't know if I could get mine to look like that. Brie is my all time fav cheese ever, pregnancy was hard on me becasue I couldn't eat this cheese!

Shabnam said...

I was looking for 100 Different ways to cook egg, not 100 different things eggs could be had with...
These are boiled eggs with peas, spinach and brie. I'm not saying it isn't delicious, just that it is Not a different way to cook eggs.

Esi said...

Shabnam, please don't come to my site and leave comments without knowing what you're talking about. The 100 ways to cook with an egg post is on Endless Simmer and they link to this post. I take constructive criticism, not rude insults.

Katharina said...

Making this dish for a friend that's coming into town tonight! This sounds like a wonderful combination. Is American brie a specialty? I wish I had picked that up at the store instead of a French brie. I was curious about it too, and it actually the cheapest of the bries. I wheel for $3.99

Looking forward to trying it! Thanks for sharing.

Esi said...

Katharine, I hope you enjoyed it! Most Brie sold in America is not made in France so it can't technically be called Brie. Kind of like champagne vs sparkling wine.