Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Farro Salad with Asparagus, Tomatoes, and Feta

Farro Salad with Asparagus, Tomatoes, and Feta

When looking for another tasty way to use farro, I came across this salad. The original recipe calls for snap peas, but last week when I made it there were no snap peas at the farmers market. Now the snap peas are back so I may have to make this again soon. It was delicious. Since my farro requires eight hours of soaking time before cooking, I set the farro in the bowl of water before work so that this meal came together quickly once I got home. I really enjoyed the dill dressing. Dill is one of those ingredients that I don't use often, but when I do, I am reminded of how much I like it. Maybe I should start picking up dill on a regular basis... Anyway, this is another one of those hearty salads that tastes great and keeps you full, but isn't bad for you either. I suggest you try it soon.


Farro Salad with Asparagus, Tomatoes, and Feta
(Adapted from Bon Appetit, June 2005)

Makes 2 servings

1/2 cup farro
1/2 bunch asparagus, trimmed, sliced
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
1-2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled

Cook farro in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Transfer to large bowl.

Meanwhile, cook asparagus in another saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 1-3 minutes. Drain. Add to farro with tomatoes, onion, and dill. Whisk oil and vinegar in small bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Add dressing and feta to salad; toss to coat and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

23 comments:

Diana said...

What a perfect spring dish! I love fresh dill! I bet this would be yummy with a few shrimp tossed in for dinner.

Pearl said...

that looks so delicious! i love the salads :D

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

This is a beautiful salad. Love the way you're using Farro.

Unknown said...

delicious!! spring makes me happy :)

Heather said...

mmmmm. i love feta. i rarely have the advanced planning required for an 8 hour soak - but i'll have to try this on the weekend!

Andrea said...

You are so good about using those whole grains! I aspire to be as good and creative about it as you are!

Olga said...

I don't think I've ever tried farro. The salad looks like something I'd make with orzo or cous cous.

Btw, the steak and fries look awesome, as does the dessert! Good luck with the salad boy :)

Kerstin said...

Looks yummy - I love the dill and feta in it!

Erica said...

As I'm sure I've said before, I'm all for anything with feta cheese in it ;) I love new grains and I have not tried farro! I bet this would be good iwth wheat berries!

Reeni said...

It's so colorful and vibrant! It looks delicious!

aleta said...

Man, I tried so hard to find farro last year and the lady at the grocery store hadn't heard of it! I bet I'd have better luck at an organic store or co-op where they have a huge variety of grains . . . because damn lady, I want to make this. =)

veggie belly said...

this looks so fresh, healthy and colorful! i can imagine how tasty this salad must have been!

Esi said...

Diana, shrimp would be great in this!

Blonde Duck, Pearl, Helene, Shannon, thanks!

Heather, I think it's just the particular brand of farro that I got that takes 8 hrs. You should check the package of whichever brand you buy.

Andrea, I wish I was as creative in some of my other recipes as you!

Kerstin, thanks!

Erica, I think wheatberries would be great too.

Aleta, hope you are able to find farro. You could probably also use wheatberries or quinoa.

Sala, thank you!

unconfidential cook said...

I love the dill in this...I never think to use it except with eggs and/or salmon, but I bet it's great with feta!

Darius T. Williams said...

Yea for a fiber fest! I love these types of meals.

Erica said...

Heyyyy...yes...I wanted to eat the entire loaf of cinnamon bread :) Thank goodness I have my whole wheat bread with only a lil sugar added...at least I can eat that right now :)

Hope today treats you well!

Donna-FFW said...

Esi- Your dishes are so beautiful. You make healthy food look almost sinful. This looks fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

mmm! lovely and refresing dish! I've never tried farro before, but I'm willing to give it a try! but would barley work too?

vanillasugarblog said...

Nope never tried farro, but I had no clue you could do this to it. I mean you make it sounds so much better than what I see in whole foods or on those raw food cookbooks.

Fearless Kitchen said...

This looks wonderful - a great springtime dish.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Ive never tried farro before! Sounds (and looks) great! Yum!

salad lovers said...

Can wait to practice it @home. very appealing pics thought. good job, nice recipes

Dazy said...

Delicious looking and delicious tasting and quite simple to make! I've never made this before. These were pure delight and I'm sure to make them again.