Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Light Chicken Parmesan

Light Chicken Parmesan

Now that I have to stay at work a little later in the evenings, I am constantly looking out for quick meals so that I won't be eating dinner at midnight. I found this last week and it stuck out because of how it was a lightened up version of a classic, but once I made it, I realized how incredibly quick and easy it is to prepare. It was especially quick for me because I cheated and instead of using canned tomatoes, I finished up the rest of my roasted garlic tomato sauce from TJs which meant I had this prepped and cooked in about 20 minutes. See! Rachael Ray isn't the only one with the grip on quick meals (in case you haven't been able to notice, I kinda can't stand Ray Ray). Serve this with a nice green salad and you have a great dinner that is tasty and satisfying. This is something that also looks fancier than it is so it would be great to serve at a dinner party. I really think the roasted garlic tomato sauce gave it an extra something, but I think it would be great with any tomato sauce. A spicy arribiata sauce would be amazing I am sure.

Switching gears, I am looking to make a few changes to the design of this site. If anyone has tips on how to make a three column format, please send them my way. Also, are there any features that you readers would like to see? Email suggestions to dishingupdelights [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks and happy hump day!

Light Chicken Parmesan
(Adapted from Everyday Food)

Makes 2 servings

1 slice whole-wheat sandwich bread, torn into pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 egg
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1-2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella
8 ounces of your favorite tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with rack in upper third. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside. In a food processor, place bread, Parmesan and a pinch each salt and pepper. Pulse until coarse crumbs form; transfer to a shallow bowl. Place flour in a second shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper. Place egg in a third shallow bowl, and beat with a fork until frothy.

Dip top side of a chicken breast in flour, shaking off excess. Dip same side in egg white, letting excess drip off, then in breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere. (Do not bread other side.) Repeat with remaining chicken and transfer, breaded side up, to prepared baking sheet. Bake until breadcrumbs are crisp and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with mozzarella. Continue baking until chicken is opaque throughout and cheese is lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet add the tomato sauce and lightly season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the sauce is warmed through, about 3-4 minutes. Serve chicken with a generous amount of tomato sauce.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Heather said...

chicken parm is one of those dishes that always reminds me of my mom. we must have eaten it at least once a week when i was a kid. this looks so delicious and nostalgic!!

happy hump day to you, too :)

as for features - i don't really have any i'm dying for. the thing i'm always looking for is recipes that can be made in a flash...

vanillasugarblog said...

Chicken parm is always one of my go-to meals that is fasssst when I'm strapped for time. Looks good.
I've found that learning the basics of html code is the easiest way to change anything in my blog. If I can't do it myself then I look up the question in blogger; it's really amazing how many helpful hints are there. After I learned the basics of margin editing in html, I found what a snap it can be.

Unknown said...

LOVE chicken parm :) i don't know why i dont think of it more often. i think i know how to use up my extra roasted tomato & red pepper sauce!!

Anonymous said...

OOOH Esi, this sounds so good!!!! MMMMMM....

Anonymous said...

Light Chicken Parm--I didn't know it could be done, it looks crispy and delicious; the homemade breadcrumbs sound great!

Anonymous said...

I agree that TJ's has great sauces--I frequently use their picatta sauce for a quickie weeknight meal. I also agree about Ms. EVOO!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't look light at all, which is a good technique to cooking light. Way to fool us!

Diana said...

I really need to try that TJ's sauce sometime -- I'm getting really sick of go-to marinara!

I'm also working on the whole redesign thing -- first step, figuring out how to gussy up my header!

The Blonde Duck said...

This is perfect. I've got to start baking more chicken for Ben and Lord knows I need fast meals...

Reeni said...

I love Chicken Parm too and this lightened and quick version! Whenever I am short on time I end up eating junk, a really bad habit. It looks really good!

Esi said...

Thank you everyone!

Dawn, yes, I neeed to learn html. So much to learn and not enough time!

Diana, the roasted garlic sauce is so good. I have to get some more soon!

Reeni, I do the same thing which is why I am trying to come up with stuff that is fast and still tastes great!

The Food Librarian said...

Your dinners always look so amazing! This is better than any Italian restaurant.

Other topic...I know nothing. Took me a year to switch my blog to a different basic blogger template! Whatever you learn, pass it along! :) hee hee.

Anonymous said...

this looks sooooo Yummy. One I will definitely try. Great pic. I'm salivating already.

BTW, I am going to email you my 3 column code that I use right now in Money Funk. You can tweek it so that it formats like Sookie's Kitchen

ErinsFoodFiles said...

WHOA! I just blogged this today too! What a coincidence! I've had it bookmarked for quite a while, then I had it on my meal plan for like 3 weeks before finally making it. THEN, I waited a week or so to blog it! haha... Your pics look better than mine, but it sure is a tasty meal nonetheless!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Haven't attempted making chicken parm yet because it seems like a big production. 20 minutes? Hmm, that does make it even more attractive now. . .Looks delish!