Friday, March 13, 2009

Yeung Chow Fried Rice

Yeung Chow Fried Rice

Those of you that shop at Trader Joes, do you read the Fearless Flyer newsletter? Sometimes I just ignore it, but in the most recent one, I couldn't help but notice some cool new things. The Santorini egg white salad and the BBQ pork are two of the things that stuck out to me. I downed the egg white salad in about five minutes flat and I froze the pork for another day. In a recent effort to clean my freezer, I thawed the pork and used some of it in this rice. Since I plan my meals ahead of time (for the most part), I made the rice the night before which made this a really quick recipe to prepare. I messed up a bit when adding the egg, so the egg was kind of mixed in to the rice versus being scrambled, but thankfully it didn't make the dish soggy. It was so easy and I have all the ingredients on hand so I am thinking about doing this again soon.


Are you guys doing anything fun for your weekend? Spring is almost here! Get out and enjoy it.


Yeung Chow Fried Rice
(Adapted from Doesn't TaZte Like Chicken)

1/2 cup diced BBQ pork
1/2 cup of cooked shrimp
1/2 cup of green peas
1 egg
2 cups cold rice
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
Freshly ground pepper
Canola oil
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce


In a non stick pan over high heat, stir fry BBQ pork for a minute.

Add in shrimp and stir fry quickly.

Add in green peas and freshly ground pepper, stir fry for a minute. Put all ingredients into a bowl

Put 1 tbsp of oil in the pan. Add the garlic and half of the green onions and cook until fragrant, stirring continuously. Add the rice into the pan and toss to combine. Turn the heat to medium and fry the rice until each grain is separated. Turn the heat to high and crack an egg in the middle of the rice. Very quickly, scramble the egg and mix it into the rice. Stir fry the rice until the egg has been cooked, about 1 minute. Put the soy sauce and oyster sauce in the middle of the rice and mix until combined.

Add the shrimp, BBQ pork and peas into the rice. Stir fry until the ingredients and rice are mixed well together. Turn off the heat when done and mix in the rest of the green onion.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

You always make the best healthy recipes. :)

Diana said...

Looks so good! I love pork in fried rice! And well, everything. :)

Anonymous said...

Love Fearless Fryer and will definitely try the pork. Have you seen the frozen brown rice and jasmine rice at TJ's? That would make this even easier, and just as delicious. Thanks for stopping by, and please come again.

Anonymous said...

Love Fearless Flyer, and will definitely try the bbq pork. Have you seen the frozen brown rice and jasmine rice at TJ's? They'd make this even easier! Thanks for stopping by, and please come again.

The Food Librarian said...

This looks great! I love everything rice! :)

Kana said...

I shop at TJoes weekly but usually have not tried any of the prepared food. Maybe it is time to do so since I have been very busy at work recently.

Anonymous said...

I'm meeting a friend for coffee and donuts this weekend - I'm excited because this is a new dive for me and it's supposed to be Bill Clinton's fav donut hole, lol.

Delicious looking dish!

Esi said...

Happy Friday! Hope you are all having a wonderful day. Is it time to go home yet?

Diana, pork makes many things better.

Maya, I love that TJs prepared foods are usually not full of junk, and definitely when you are busy they can be a lifesaver.

Ari, how cool! Hope the donuts are great :)

Anonymous said...

Gotta get oyster sauce! Fish sauce is the one use in a few stir frys, but this probably works best with oyster.

Anonymous said...

I think I could live on this fried rice for a year and never get tired of it. Wonderful dish!

Heather said...

yum! i love fried rice. your shrimp always look so perfect and colorful! mmm.

Erica said...

So good-looks like takeout but its healthier! Good stuff. Im thrilled that its almost spring. This has been a great weekend so far- I shopped until I dropped this am and we're having friends over for din din. What about you?

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oh - the shrimp in that are beautiful! Best looking fried rice I have seen.

Anonymous said...

mmm mmm mmmm...looks yummy! :)

vanillasugarblog said...

I went to TJ and stocked up on that flour after reading that article you sent. I read the fearless flyer for all the new stuff and seasonal stuff. Their corned beef was super cheap and already spiced up and ready to cook which I love. I jsut wish their bread tasted better. I'm just rambling on and on here....