Monday, March 16, 2009

Chickpea and Kale Stirfry

Chickpea and Kale Stirfry

As I said yesterday, I had Travis come over for a decadent dinner the other night. Since I knew I would be eating heavy food for dinner, I wanted something light for lunch. I'm not exactly sure how I found this recipe, but I do remember that when I decided to make the cauliflower and farro salad that I would have some chickpeas left over that would need to be used up. This very similar to a recipe I made last summer, but since I love chickpeas and I love greens, I couldn't resist this new way of changing it up. It's so easy and fast and tasty. I have definitely noticed the kale bunches getting smaller at the farmers market. Perhaps they are making way for the spring produce? As sad as I am to see things like kale on it's way out, I can't help but be excited for the new produce making its way in. In SoCal, we already have a bunch of strawberries and some other tropical fruits and things are looking better every week. I can't wait to see what other options the new season brings.


Chickpea and Kale Stirfry


Thanks to you guys, I am getting closer and closer to my fundraising goal, if you want to find out more and/or donate to an amazing cause, click here.


Chickpea and Kale Stir Fry
(Adapted from Live to Eat who adapted from 101 Cookbooks)

1/2 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small bunch kale, tough stems removed and roughly torn
1 shallot, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
Pinch red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
Juice and zest from 1/2 lemon

In a large pan, heat the olive oil and saute the shallots and garlic till fragrant. Season with salt pepper and the chickpeas and saute until the chickpeas turn golden and crusty, about 8-10 minutes. Add the red pepper and mix well. Add the kale and saute for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well. Season with more salt if needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Esi- This sounds so very delicious. I adore chickeas and they areprobably wonderful with the kale!! I am envious that your fresh tropical fruit is coming soon. It'll be a while for me:) Looking forward toyour creations, though!

Anonymous said...

Another kale recipe to keep in the file.

Diana said...

I actually have some chickpeas to use up too! But sadly, no kale. I don't think this dish would be quite the same with the broccoli I have in my produce crisper!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never had chickpeas or kale. Looks great though!

Apples and Butter said...

I love Kale as well! Though I must say, I'm happy to let go of it for all that we get to enjoy during spring!

vanillasugarblog said...

you eat very healthy my dear...kale is so good for you. have you ever heard of moroccan spiced chickpeas? I'm toying with it...

Reeni said...

I like, no LOVE, all the flavors in here. It looks soooo good. I'm so jealous of your wonderfully fresh fruits and vegetables!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great and healthy dinner!

Anonymous said...

What a great combo--kale is so good for you, and it's not easy to find recipes beyond garlic-kale. Thanks, will put in the hopper.

Esi said...

Thanks everyone!

Blonde Duck, if you have had hummus, you have had chickpeas, but you should definitely try kale too.

Apples and Butter, I agree. So excited for the new stuff coming up.

Dawn, I am trying to be better lately. It's always bathing suit weather here, lol. I have heard of spiced chickpeas. I tried something similar a while ago (think it's in the archives) and it was so good!

Heather said...

ooohhh yum! kale and chickpeas! what a yummy combo! you come up with the best recipes for veggies!

Hayley said...

Chickpeas! I think you can tell how much I love these guys!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, thank you for stopping by. Sweetie, if I had the power to do magic, I would give you a big mug of Irish coffee just to say thank you for being my friend. You've brought back some memories for me with your chickpea recipe. It was my mother's favorite. Thanks love.

Maria said...

What a great meal idea. I love chickpeas!!

Heidi said...

Just wanted to let you know that this has become one of my favorite meals. I LOVE IT!

Esi said...

Heidi, that's great! thanks!