Saturday, March 7, 2009

Smothered Flatty Patties

Smothered Flatty Patties

I have been thinking of making this recipe for a long time. I found it courtesy of Paula who always seems to know what I am in the mood for. Well last night after a week of being pretty good, I felt like being a little naughty. I was in a really feisty mood all day so once I got home, I put on some tunes and danced around my kitchen...no joke! A couple of weeks ago, Raul and I payed a visit to the hottie that sells the grassfed beef. I swear, sometimes I think we just go to the farmers market to scope out the cutie vendors. Anyway, I think this type of meat is actually a better deal than the stuff at the grocery store. We both got some of this chuck and Raul got a couple of fillets for an excellent price! This is a simple and quick recipe. I served it with a spinach salad and was eating in no time. It's a beautiful day here in La La Land. I hope you are all enjoying your weekend.


Flatty Patty Smothered Burgers
(Adapted from It's All Gouda)

Makes about 4 patties

1/4 pound (approx) ground grassfed chuck
Montreal steak seasoning
1/2 onion, sliced
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons Pub cheese
Extra virgin olive oil

In a large skillet, heat a bit of oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and season with a bit of salt. Turn the heat down to medium and cook the onions until caramelized, stirring often. Once the onions are done, remove from heat, cover and set aside.

To make the patties, season the meat with the steak seasoning. Divide the meat into egg sized balls and using wet hands, flatten to patties as thin as possible with no holes. Cook on a grill, grill pan, or skillet for about 3 minutes on each side.

Heat the pub cheese in the microwave for about 30 seconds until softened. Top each burger with a bit of cheese and then some of the onions.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

you totally had me at pub cheese!
I love that stuff on burgers!

Erica said...

Yes! I love montreal steak mixed with beef- so yummy! The weather is beautiful in SC too! Enjoy it ;)

Heather said...

esi, i love all your pictures, but this one might be my favorite. those onions made me want to lick my computer screen! they look SO GOOD!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of melting cheese for burgers, because too often, when you melt on the burger, it just slide right off and there's none on top where you want it. We have a special place for Paula, too, as you may have read...and thanks for stopping by.

Sharon said...

I like the name! Being smothered in pub cheese doesn't hurt either...

Reeni said...

They look so delicious and tasty! I'm not sure what pub cheese is? Is it the soft cheddar that they sell in containers? If so, I love it, especially on burgers, it has such a strong flavor.

Esi said...

Thank you guys!

Reeni, pub cheese comes in a plastic tub and it's soft and spreadable. I got mine at TJs.

Donna-FFW said...

Oh My Lord! Now I want a burger. I could so use a bite of that right now! Delicious!!!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

YUM Esi. I like the idea of a smothered piece of meat (or ground). I must tell you at first I misread the title and thought you'd written Smothered Fatty Patties. Silly me. Great recipe love.

Summer said...

Ah, the pretty people in LA. Even the guys at the farmer's market are hot. They probably want to be actors too. All kidding aside, this looks delicious.

Paula said...

Oh Esi! You totally made my day! Thank you for your kind comments, and your flatty patty looks wonderful! Mmm, now I'm in the mood for one! or two! .... :-)

Alicia Foodycat said...

I don't know what pub cheese is but this looks delicious and I know I would like it!