Friday, July 24, 2009

Cantaloupe and Bocconcini Salad with Mint

Cantaloupe and Bocconcini Salad with Mint

The farmers market has been full of great fruits and vegetables, but besides last weekend I haven't been doing much cooking. With the hot summer settled in, I feel less and less like firing up my stove. Luckily, Mark Bittman just posted this amazing list of salads some of which I will be making immediately. I also remembered this salad from one of my favorite cookbooks, Everyday Food. It takes about two minutes and is light and refreshing. My cantaloupe was particularly juicy so I loved how that sweet flavor mixed with the tart lemon. The salty prosciutto added just enough savoriness to keep it interesting and the mint was a lovely fresh kick. I don't own a melon baller (yet) so I used a tablespoon measure. I think next time I will use a teaspoon to keep everything around the same size. If you can't find bocconcini, just use fresh mozzarella and cut it into bite sized pieces. This is a great simple salad for the summer.


Cantaloupe and Boncconcini Salad with Mint
(Adapted from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast)


Makes 2 servings

1 small ripe cantaloupe, scooped into balls with a melon baller (about 1 1/2 cups)
4 ounces bocconcini (small fresh-mozzarella balls), or fresh mozzarella cut into 1-inch cubes
1 to 2 thin slices prosciutto, cut into strips
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons torn mint leaves

In a large bowl, combine cantaloupe, bocconcini, prosciutto, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.

Toss with mint leaves, and serve immediately.

Print Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

Ah. This is so refreshing. I've highlighted some of the 100 salads from the NYT! Oh, a melon baller is fun! Get one soon! :)

Diana said...

Sooo when I saw your announcement on Twitter about this recipe, I thought, "Hmmm not sure about brocollini and cantaloupe together - I got to see this!" Glad to discover that I read that wrong -- cheese sounds much more delightful with cantaloupe! ;)

Erica said...

This is an interesting mix of flavors- I'd really like to give it a try. Perfect dish for this heat and I can't get enough cantaloupe

Creative Classroom Core said...

I never would have thought to use mint in this - what a refreshing twist!

veggie belly said...

A tablespoon measure instead of a melon baller? thats brilliant! now, why didnt I think of that before?! :))

Maria said...

What a lovely salad!

Marta said...

Perfect salad! I could go for some right now, I'm so warm! This looks so refreshing and summery!
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

It must be so nice to go to a Farmer's market with so many choices. What a nice summer salad.

Cooking with tien said...

I never thought to pair cantaloupe with mint and brocollini. What a great idea. :) Tien

HeddyShea said...

what a yummy looking recipes. thanks for sharing.
ps. love your photos too!
XO
SHS

Simones Kitchen said...

This looks so fresh and delicious and perfect for a hot summer night (or lunch) Great tastes together!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really is a beautiful salad with an interesting mix of flavors..

Kerstin said...

What a gorgeous salad, it sounds so good!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That's a lovely salad! Yum!

Reeni said...

The sweet and salty flavors in here sound real yummy! Such a lovely summer salad.

Unknown said...

ooh, that sounds delish!

Summer said...

What an interesting combination. I've never had melon with cheese. I'll have to try this.