Friday, July 10, 2009

Cantaloupe Sorbet

Cantaloupe Sorbet

Well it seems summer is in full swing and there is no better place highlighting the tastes of summer than the farmers market. I have definitely had my fill of berries and cherries and even a few peaches, but I was super excited to pick up a cantaloupe this week. I can seriously eat a whole cantaloupe in one sitting by myself. Rather than showcase that particular talent on the site, I thought it would be fun to find an interesting recipe for it. We are definitely out of the June Gloom stage and temps are heating up! While it is still not as hot as it could be, I am definitely feeling sweatier these days. This sorbet is easy and take just a few minutes to whip together (minus freezing time). I loved this sorbet! It is just like eating frozen cantaloupe. I think next time I am going to reverse the amounts of vodka and lemon juice. You don't taste the vodka at all, it is purely for texture so if you don't drink, feel free to leave it out. I would have liked a bit more lemon to add a tart contrast to the sweet cantaloupe. The mint adds another degree of refreshing.

Cantaloupe Sorbet

Happiest of happy birthdays to my dear friend Tony aka writer of the most knowledgeable site about music. Do me a favor and head over to his site and wish him a happy birthday!

Cantaloupe Sorbet
(As found on Chaos In the Kitchen)

1 pound cantaloupe, cut into large chunks
100 grams (3.5 ounces or about 1/2 cup) sugar
2 soup spoons vodka
1 soup spoon fresh lemon juice
Mint leaves, cut in a chiffonade

Blitz the cantaloupe in the bowl of a food processor until it becomes a puree. In a large bowl, whisk together the puree, sugar, vodka, and lemon juice. Process in the ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve, topped with the mint.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

wow! I must try this. heavenly girl, heavenly.
love that color, isn't that fab.

Nicole Feliciano said...

What a perfect summer treat. I tried making Soft Shell Crabs while this week. I hope you'll share this on my recipe exchange. Here's my link for Friday's Feast.

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-feasts-soft-shell-crab.html

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a fantastic color. Re: vodka. It may not affect the taste but I suspect it affects the freezing of the sorbet. Usually, the addition of spirits slows the freezing process and makes the mixture less firm.

Erica said...

Every time you post a beautiful frozen treat, it makes me want to go out and buy an ice cream maker!!

Maria said...

I need to find me a nice ripe cantaloup. It looks fabulous!!

Parita said...

Perfect summer treat!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Wow Esi! This looks amazing.

I mentioned your name on my post today. I just wanted to give you the heads up.

Laura

Creative Classroom Core said...

Such a cool and creative sorbet flavor!

The Food Librarian said...

This is amazing. I have a cantaloupe on the counter with this written on it! It is beautiful!! Stay cool this summer.

daxphillips said...

Looks really refreshing, especially on these hot days. If there is one thing I wish I had, it would be an ice cream maker. I must put that one on my list. Great work as always.

Esi said...

Thank you everyone. This is a fantastic summer treat, I hope you can try it!

Mary, yes the vodka makes this softer, but isn't necessary for taste.

Erica, I hope you get an ice cream maker, but even so, this is fantastic and I think simple without one.

Laura, so cool! I will check it out.

Mary, I hope you're staying cool too!

Dax, I hope you get an ice cream maker as well!

Anonymous said...

What is equivalent to a "soup" spoon?

Esi said...

"Anonymous" - I used a large spoon that I use to eat soup. Honestly, this worked for me and it is what is written in the original recipe so I assume it is just a few dashes of each measure.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That's the prettiest colour!

Reeni said...

This is a delicious treat Esi! I love the vodka in it!

Unknown said...

i wish i had room in my freezer for my ice cream maker...

Diana said...

I really need an ice cream maker. Now that it's warm out (FINALLY) all I want to do is eat ice cream, yogurt and gelato!

Hungry Dog said...

Oh goodness--this is stunning! i wish I had some right now, it's actually summery in san Francisco.

Anonymous said...

wow this looks so nice.I must try it.

Merry

Free Satellite TV

SinoSoul said...

I think I'm gonna churn this tonite.. voooodka. Gonna sub soju for vodka. Gotta keep it ethnic.