Thursday, July 30, 2009

Caprese Skewers

Caprese Salad Skewers

As I said yesterday, I made a few vegetarian friendly recipes for my 24, 24, 24 party. Caprese salad is one of my favorite simple salads to throw together on any random night. I adore the simple combination of flavors and the fact you can throw it together with many ingredients. Initially I had planned on making a basil oil, but time was not on my side so I did a simple balsamic vinaigrette. These are great for a party because the skewer assembly can be done ahead of time and even the making of the vinaigrette can be done ahead of time. On the day of the party all you need to do is shake the vinaigrette and drizzle it over the skewers. I even made these again for a work day lunch because I love this salad so much.

A note to my fellow Daring Bakers. I finally completed this month's challenge. Hope to have it up tomorrow!

Caprese Salad Skewers



Caprese Skewers

Grape tomatoes
Bocconcini
Whole Basil Leaves
Extra-virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Place tomatoes, and mozzarella on the skewer and separate with a piece of basil. In a small bowl, mix olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and drizzle over the skewers. Serve immediately.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Maria said...

One of my favorite salads! Love that you put everything on skewers. So fun!

Erica said...

This was my favorite thing that you made for the party! They look gorgeous and I'm sure they tasted amazing.

Diana said...

I don't think there is anything that says "summer" more than caprese salads -- especially if done on a skewer! Cute and seasonally appropriate! :)

Dolce said...

I often prepare a caprese salad but I love the skewers idea for a party! Thank you!

Cathy said...

I make these all the time for parties! I love food on a stick ;) And I drizzle mine with balsamic glaze.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is such a wonderful way to serve this salad to a crowd. It's every bit as beautiful as its plated cousin.

The Food Librarian said...

I love food on a stick! And this isn't even fried! :)

Faith said...

I love Caprese salad! These skewers are beautiful.

Chef Fresco said...

Yum!! Great appetizer!

Christina Kim said...

nothing like simple caprese! your tomatoes/mozzarella/basil look so perfect, they almost look fake! i mean that as a compliment! you're such a talented photographer.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I'll have to try this, looks to yummy.

Simones Kitchen said...

Salad on a skewer! That a fantastic idea and actually perfect for my BBQ tomorrow!! I am so gonna make this!

Cooking with tien said...

Hi, Esi,
I am going to post how to make Mozarella cheese. Could I link to this post to show your clever caprese skewers?

Reeni said...

These are so fresh and delicious! Sometimes the simplest things are the best tasting.

Summer said...

This is one of my favorite appetizers to make. It's so easy and always a crowd pleaser.

Donna-FFW said...

What a great way to make caprese salad. It is one of my favorite salads, great way to turn it into an appetizer.

Kerstin said...

Caprese skewers are always a hit at parties, and yours look perfect!