Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pork Tenderloin with Tomato-Peach Compote

Pork Tenderloin with Tomato-Peach Compote

This past weekend at the farmers market I picked up some peaches, but they started to go bad almost immediately. I won't bad mouth the farm because I do get some other stuff from them that is awesome. However I was looking for something good to use them up in. On Twitter, I got many suggestions for peach pie, but I wasn't really in a pie mood this week. I had one tomato left from a panzanella I made last weekend so I decided to make this recipe from the most recent Gourmet. Instead of using curry, I used a Vadouvan spice I got in my sample pack from The Spice House. I was a little dubious about the curry flavors working well with the garlic and ginger as well as the tomato and peach, but they ended up being a great combination! There is a gentle heat in the pork rub that works well with the sweetness of the tomato and peach compote. I also think that the spice in this dish would work well with a number of fruity flavors so this is definitely something to play around with a bit.

How's your weekend going? Hope it's as long and relaxing as mine ;)


Pork Tenderloin with Tomato-Peach Compote
(Adapted from Gourmet, July 2009)

Makes 2-4 servings

3 garlic cloves, grated
1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger
Salt and pepper
1 (3/4-pound) pork tenderloin
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
2 small peaches, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
Pinch sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees with rack in middle.

Mix together the garlic, ginger, curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to a paste using mortar and pestle. Rub all over pork.

Heat oil in an ovenproof 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown pork on one side, about 5 minutes, then turn over and transfer skillet to oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 145 to 150 degrees for juicy meat, 10 to 12 minutes. Let pork rest, uncovered, on a cutting board while making compote.

Add onion to skillet (handle will be very hot) and saute over medium-high heat until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and peach and saute until just softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in thyme and, if desired, sugar.

Slice pork and serve with compote.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Noodlegirl said...

Oh yummy!

Christine said...

That looks amazing! And healthy too.

Marta said...

Good thing you put those peaches to use quickly! They go very well with pork!
My weekend is going so well, did tons of cooking today, now I'm blogging a bit, tomorrow will hike the entire day! Yay!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely meal! Peaches are not yet in season here, but soon:-).

Kerstin said...

Definitely a great way to use your peaches, the compote sounds terrific! I need to use peaches in savory dishes more often!

Unknown said...

fantastic way to use those peaches! sometimes its tough to use everything i buy... i curse my warm apartment. glad you had a nice relaxing weekend :)

Hungry Dog said...

I saw this recipe and was curious but unsure about the flavor combo...thanks for doing a test run! Now I will try it. It looks gorgeous.