Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Whole Wheat Pita Chips

Whole Wheat Pita Chips

Not everything at my cocktail party was sinful. I made feta salsa which while it isn't the healthiest thing on the menu, it certainly has some good for you ingredients (uh, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil..come on!). The first time I made this salsa, I served it with baked kettle chips. The last time (after our infamous Adele show at the Hollywood Bowl), I attempted various flatbreads. Some failed and some were successful. This time I decided to go with some baked pita chips so people wouldn't feel too guilty about all the other things I was feeding them. These chips are so incredible and provide a great satisfying crunch when you are gulping down large amounts of Proseco, but they don't make you feel weighed down. I plan to make these often as a snack to have during the work day when I can't escape my desk, but need something to get me through the afternoon. What are your favorite snacks for the work week?


Whole Wheat Pita Chips
(From Pennies on a Platter)

Whole wheat pitas, cut into triangles*
Canola oil spray
Kosher salt

*Depending on how may pitas you use, you may have to make these in batches.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.

Spray the foil or parchment paper with vegetable spray. Lay the pita triangles down and spray again. Top each triangle with a bit of salt. Bake for 5-10 minutes until crisp and browned, turning once halfway through baking.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Erica said...

It was a party! Its ok to indulge a bit ;) I love homemade pita chips- MUCH tastier than the store alternatives (although Stacy's pita chips are pretty good)

Diana said...

Most of the time I eat fruit for my afternoon snack (apples, cherries, grapes, oranges, etc), but I also like edamame and almonds/cashews to mix things up.

Those pita chips sound great! And I love the salsa recipe. I'm going to have to steal that one for my next family get together. :)

Juliana said...

I like these pita chips, although I never made with whole wheat...do you know how to make the ones with cinnamon and sugar?

Donna-FFW said...

MMM.. Id love these with maybe a mango salsa.

Reeni said...

Home-made pita chips warm out of the oven are the best! I usually snack on nuts, dried fruit, and baby carrots/hummus.

Simones Kitchen said...

What a great idea to make pita into chips... I have to remember that. I can so imagine that to perfect with that feta dip!

Michelle Rittler said...

I love to season my pita chips with salt, pepper, and dried oregano before baking them. The added flavor is really delicious!

Tia said...

i can't believe i buy these when making them is so easy!