Thursday, July 16, 2009

Turkey Burgers with Smoked Gouda and Grilled Onions

Turkey Burgers with Smoked Gouda and Grilled Onions

I'm still hard at work clearing out my freezer with each passing day. Recently I found some ground turkey and the last few remaining slow roasted tomatoes (can you believe it?). I really got a lot of mileage out of the tomatoes. I will have to try that technique again soon as tomatoes are starting to pop up at the farmers market. In my most recent cookbook sweep, I found the recipe for Martha's favorite turkey burgers. Since her beef burgers rocked my world a few months ago, I decided to try the turkey burger. They were so good, easy to make and quite fast too! Rather than mix gruyere into the turkey mixture, I topped the burgers with some smoked Gouda. While the burgers were cooking up, I grilled some onions as a topper. I cooked these on the grill pan since I am waiting until after my move to really start proper grilling. The finishing touch was a bit of arugula and the pepper leaves were great with the flavors of the burger.



Favorite Turkey Burgers
(Adapted from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast)

Makes 2 burgers

3/4 pound ground turkey (93% lean)
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Hamburger buns
Shredded smoked Gouda
Slow-roasted tomatoes
Arugula
Grilled onions

Heat the grill to high. In a medium bowl, use a fork to gently combine the turkey with the scallions, breadcrumbs, Dijon, garlic, salt, and pepper. Dive the mixture evenly and gently form it into 1-inch patties.

Lightly oil the grill. Place the patties on the hottest part of the grill; sear until browned, 1-2 minutes per side. Move the patties to the cooler part of the grill; continue grilling until cooked through 5-10 minutes per side.

Split the burger buns and toast on the grill if you like; place a burger on each bun and tip with the desired accompaniments.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Faith said...

Gouda sounds perfect on this! I'm dying for a burger now! :)

Marta said...

I love turkey burgers, these looks particularly delicious with the gouda and onions! Great job!

Creative Classroom Core said...

What a tasty looking burger! Love that you used gouda! Yum!

Erica said...

Man! You have some awesome stuff in your freezer. Mine is filled with boring-ness ;) These look picture perfect. Love that melty cheese

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Your food always look so appealing. I would eat that burger.

Maria said...

I love grilled onions on my veggie burgers. Adds such a nice flavor.

Reeni said...

This looks just delicious with the smoked gouda - one of my favorites!

Kerstin said...

That's my kind of burger - love the gouda with onions, yum!!

Unknown said...

this looks great! i should totally stop going to the store to use up everything in my apartment...

Hungry Dog said...

That looks awesome! And I love smoked Gouda.

Jennifer said...

I love a good turkey burger! Mmmm smoked gouda just makes it over the top!

veggie belly said...

smoked gouda is one of the best things ever!

David said...

looks like a good way to spruce up turkey burgers.