Monday, February 8, 2010

Ginger Fried Rice

Ginger Fried Rice

So last week I made the turkey cabbage cups as an appetizer to this rice...and then I saw that a few bloggers had already posted it. I always say there is beauty in simplicity and this rice is the epitome of that. It uses basic ingredients and simple flavors in a combination that cannot be beat. I love fried rice in pretty much any form and I make it often, yet I was so excited to try this recipe. I always have a knob of ginger in the freezer and I definitely always have at least three bulbs of garlic on hand. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to frying garlic because I fear it burning so it didn't get quite as brown as it should have, but that does not mean the mixture didn't impart a wonderful savory flavor into the rice. I love using leeks instead of green onions in the rice and though I was worried about not mixing the soy sauce into the rice, it made a lovely topping with the egg and sesame oil. I am still without a nonstick pan so I poached my egg rather than frying it. The velvety yolk was perfect with the garlic tinted rice and crunchy topping. I will definitely make this recipe again and who knows...maybe I will even get daring and cook the garlic and ginger mixture a little longer.


Ginger Fried Rice



Ginger Fried Rice
(Adapted from the New York Times)



Makes 2 servings

2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
Salt
1 cup thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed and dried
2 cups day-old cooked rice, preferably jasmine, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce

In a large skillet, heat the peanut oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and brown. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels and salt lightly.

Reduce heat under skillet to medium-low and add the leeks. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very tender but not browned. Season lightly with salt.

Raise heat to medium and add rice. Cook, stirring well, until heated through. Season to taste with salt.

In a small saucepan poach the eggs. (You can also fry the eggs in a nonstick skillet)

Divide rice among two dishes. Top each with an egg and drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Sprinkle crisped garlic and ginger over everything and serve.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

LoveFeast Table said...

Sounds simple and delicious!! Anything with garlic and ginger is delicious in my book!

Unknown said...

i think it's the oozy egg that gets me :) hope you're doing well esi!

Erica said...

I love the idea of the runny egg on top of this rice. I bet that yolk mixed in with the rice is heavenly!

vanillasugarblog said...

fried rice & eggs are the best. I love the smell of ginger in the house.

The Duo Dishes said...

If only more people knew the beauty of egg on rice.

Maria said...

I love the simplicity of this dish!

Diana said...

I love the idea of using leeks instead of green onions/onions! Looks delish!

Do you find peanut oil makes that much of a difference in the end product? I only ever work with olive oil. :-/

Virginia said...

So many flavors I love in one dish! The egg on top is my favorite, though. I'll try anything with a poached egg on it! Can't wait to try making this!

Esi said...

Diana, peanut oil has a much milder flavor than olive oil. It also has a higher smoke point so it's great for stir fries. Olive oil would definitely affect the flavor a bit. Canola oil is a good sub for the peanut oil.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Such a colorful dish.

grace said...

i love fried rice but until now had no idea how to prepare it. it's so easy, and that's just thrilling! and really, is there anything as outstanding as oozing egg yolk? :)

Chef Fresco said...

I also have never made fried rice. Look delicious - nice photo with the egg!

Sippity Sup said...

So excited to see you next weekend.at StirIt28. Yay! That "private residence" it's being held at is my house. It's going to be fun! Come one come all... GREG

Olga of Mango & Tomato said...

I saw Bittman making this (on NYTimes site). It looked great. You did a beautiful job. Love the egg.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oh that looks good! That would be amazing hangover food. I need Paul to be out so I can have this (he doesn't like runny egg yolk and it would ruin it to cook it hard).