Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spicy Turkey Burgers

Spicy Turkey Burger


I always seem to have ground turkey in my freezer. I decided to use some up and make turkey burgers. These are simple for any night of the week. I love using those sandwich thin thingies instead of a bun so I don't feel so full. Arugula has been my green of choice lately. I have it almost daily on sandwiches or as a side with a spritz of Meyer lemon juice and some olive oil. These are spicy, but not overwhelmingly so. It's more like a gentle heat that won't have your mouth on fire. Even the biggest spice wimps can handle this.





Spicy Turkey Burgers
(Adapted from Blue Kitchen)



Makes 2 burgers

Olive oil
1/2 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 pound ground turkey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground Aleppo chili
1/2 teaspoon salt

Saute jalapeño pepper and onion with a little olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, gently mix turkey. cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt and cooled pepper and onion mixture with your hands until just combined. Form into 2 patties.

Heat a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Add a bit of olive oil and saute turkey patties for 5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Serve on a bun with whatever toppings you would like.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

you have a lot of things in your freezer. how big is that freezer anyways? you're always pulling stuff out.
are those the new thin buns by Arnold? do you like them? I wanted to get them from my hummus.

MaryMoh said...

I love to cook with turkey mince too. I always use it to make dumplings. Your turkey burgers look very delicious. I will have to amke that too.

Simones Kitchen said...

They sure look good those thin sandwich thingies (aren't they pitah's? :)) I agree with you totally on arugula; I love it and it goes with so many things!

Memória said...

Your photo of an innocent burger is so perfect. Look how sharp the top edge of the bun is! Wow. What a beautiful burger.

I actually do like turkey burgers. I think I have some more ground turkey sitting in my freezer as well. Thanks for posting such a healthy, delectable dish.

Unknown said...

i am finally working through things in my freezer... instead of just stashing things in there :) these look great! and i need to get more thins... after i finish the Nature's Pride bread in my freezer, lol. can't believe i made room for it in my suitcase!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Esi,

I'm starting to think your apartment is one big freezer. ;)

This burger looks great! I just did a burger too, must be that kinda weekend. You make me think I should clean out my horrible bad gross freezer. Sigh..

Laura

Esi said...

Dawn and Laura, you know my freezer is actually pretty small. I don't have a full sized fridge, but I make it work.

Dawn, I'm obsessed with those sandwich thins. Here in Cali they're Orowheat, but I think it's the same thing as Arnold.

Simone, you're right, the bread is basically like a pita. It's a little softer though.

Shannon, haha, bet you have a lot of bread to go through still.

Laura, my apartment basically IS one big freezer. Especially with the heat not working again. lol

Diana said...

I'm so with you on the arugula. I always have a bag of it in my crisper now. My glorious crisper that I share with no one else. :)

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

They look so juicy, i just want to bite into one! What are those thin sandwichy things? I've never seen them before but they look like a great bun option, not too bready. You are my go to for quick week night dinner recipes.

Fig and Cherry said...

I've never seen those flat buns before - they look great! Kind of like an English muffin.

I love making burgers from mince and the addition of jalepenos is lovely.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Tasty! I do like a bit of spice in a burger.

Anonymous said...

I don't eat red meat so these turkey burgers are a great alternative for me! I love the fact that there's some heat packed in to these burgers-yum!