Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Orzo Pilaf WIth Asparagus and Prosciutto

Orzo Pilaf with Asparagus and Prosciutto

Sometimes, when I see I recipe, I can't stop thinking about it until I try it myself. That's how I have been with this asparagus and orzo. Asparagus is sort of always in season in SoCal, even though it's not as great now as it will be in a couple of months. I normally am not a huge fan of cooking with butter (unless it's a sweet treat), but I think the butter is essential here, plus if you use whole wheat orzo like I did, you can trick yourself into thinking this is a healthier dish. The leftovers keep really well for a few days so this was a great lunch to have at work last week. Now that I have had my first asparagus of the year, I am already thinking of more ways I can use it.



Orzo Pilaf with Asparagus and Prosciutto
(Adapted from Hungry Cravings)



Makes 2-3 servings

2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
8 ounces orzo
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, julienned
8 ounces asparagus, trimmed of woody ends, thinly sliced on a bias
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Grated Parmesan, for serving

Bring the broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat heat the oil and butter until very hot, but not smoking. Add the orzo and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the hot broth and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the orzo is al dente. Stir in the prosciutto and asparagus and season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange on individual plates, top with Parmesan, and serve immediately.


Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

Maria said...

I had orzo last night for dinner. I love the asparagus in this dish!

Erica said...

YUM! I love orzo- such a fabulous little pasta. Maybe I can find an orzo bake recipe somewhere...I have to make dinner for Josh's boss and other important coworkers next week and I'm freaking out about what to make

Sharon said...

Where did you find whole wheat orzo? I can't seem to locate it anywhere! Love this healthy dish.

Antonietta said...

This looks so great, and the whole wheat orzo is such a healthy choice!

Diana said...

Do I spy Whole Food whole wheat orzo?? I do I do!

Looks great - we are so lucky that we can eat asparagus year-round here!

Jenn said...

It's been a while since I've had myself some orzo. I need to find me some of the whole wheat kind, too!!!

Esi said...

Sharon, I got the orzo at Whole Foods, but I had to go to a couple of Whole Foods before I found it. It's worth it though!

Unknown said...

ooh, asparagus... yum yum. i just picked up brussels sprouts, guess i'm still in winter mode :) as i should be, as it's still feb in the northeast!

Sarah said...

I have some orzo in the pantry. This would be perfect for dinner!

Kerstin said...

This is such a great twist on asparagus wrapped with prosciutto - yum!

Anonymous said...

I completely understand about seeing a recipe and "needing" to make it.

What a great dish!

Chef Fresco said...

Mmm we love asparagus. I wish we could get it all the time her in NC! Looks tasty!

Olga MangoTomato said...

ooh such pretty color of orzo: I've never seen anything like that.

Melody Fury // GourmetFury.com said...

What a gorgeous asparagus recipe to celebrate spring's arrival. Just want to let you know about an asparagus recipe contest that's super simple to enter and offers gourmet prizes. Hope you'll join us at Beet 'n Squash YOU!

Love, Mel