Thursday, February 25, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits

Buttermilk Biscuits

Sometimes when I go to the grocery store, I pick up random items that I don't particularly need, but know they will come in handy. A couple of weeks ago, that ingredient was buttermilk. I love buttermilk. It's such a versatile ingredient and it lasts such a long time. Plus, you can freeze the leftovers and have buttermilk for ages. I wasn't sure whether to go savory or sweet with my most recent buttermilk purchase, but once I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. Pounding the dough and turning is a similar technique to making puff pastry. It makes incredibly fluffy, multi-layered biscuits that are enjoyed in a variety of ways. Enjoy these with a simple drizzle of honey, some jam, some butter, or if you're feeling extra creative, make some homemade McMuffins. You will love them. I promise.



Homemade English McMuffin


Buttermilk Biscuits
(From Homesick Texan)



Makes 8-10 large biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter, cold
3/4 cup of buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.

Cut the stick of butter into pieces, and work into the flour mixture with your hands or a pastry blender until it resembles pea-sized crumbs.

Add the buttermilk, mixing until a bit loose and sticky.

Pour dough out on a floured surface, and knead for a minute. Dough should be smooth and no longer wet. You can sprinkle more flour on the surface if you find it sticky.

Take dough into a ball, and hit it with a rolling pin, turning it and folding it in half every few whacks. Do this for a couple of minutes.

Roll out dough until it’s 1/4 of an inch thick, and then fold it in half.

Using a round cutter cut out your biscuits from folded dough.

Place on a greased baking sheet close together (so they rise up not out). Brush each biscuit with a bit of egg wash and bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

28 comments:

Erica said...

These look delicious- perfect for a nice southern breakfast. I've never made biscuits like this before. I want to try!

Fresh Local and Best said...

You are so smart! I never thought to freeze buttermilk. These biscuits look so buttery and flaky, authentically southern!

vanillasugarblog said...

esi, buttermilk freezes well? no kidding. I never thought of it. And I'm always throwing awy the leftovers because of spoilage.

Maria said...

They look perfect! My hubs would love that breakfast sandwich too!

La Bella Cooks said...

I didn't know you could freeze buttermilk, that is great because mine always goes to waste after I use that small amount for a single recipe. I love biscuits right out of the oven but this morning, that bacon is calling me. Looks heavenly!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

I've never made biscuits with buttermilk. I will have to try it out now that I know you can freeze buttermilk!

Memória said...

I love buttermilk biscuits, and I love all things from Homesick Texan!! Wow. Your biscuits look so light and fluffy!

Diana said...

Hmmm... buttermilk biscuits are definitely not dessert... ;)

P.S. Still LOVE that buttermilk cake recipe!

Jenn said...

It's been way too long since I've made some buttermilk biscuits. Ooo...thanks for the tip on buttermilk. I always run into that problem of I only need a small amount and a I have a ton leftover. I shall be freezing the leftovers next time. Thanks!!!!

Esi said...

Hey everyone! Yes, buttermilk freezes well. Just freeze it by the tablespoon-full in an ice cube tray. Defrost at room temp and mix well before you use it!

Diana, I think the buttermilk cake will be made again in the very near future...stay tuned!

Anisha said...

Lovin' the biscuits. My boyfriend glanced at my screen and drooled a little too :)

sippitysup said...

I love buttermilk! It was also great seeing you at StirIt last weekend. GREG

The Food Librarian said...

I want these NOW. NOW!

The Duo Dishes said...

Forget McDonald's; this far trumps their breakfast sandwich. A friend's dad used to drink buttermilk. Now that was strange! Seems much better to cook with it, not drink it.

Samantha Kate said...

I also love buttermilk! I'm defiantly trying this recipe on Saturday. Great post!

Krissy @ The Food Addicts said...

the buttermilk biscuits look fabulous! it was good seeing you again at the haiti fundraiser! i heard you were just recovering from a flu, so hope you are 100% better now!

Lo said...

Buttermilk biscuits are one of my favorite things in the world. And I love the "fold & pound" trick. What a great idea! Will have to try that with my next batch of biscuits.

I freeze my buttermilk in portions based on the recipes I make fairly regularly. Then I just pull them out of the freezer, thaw, and bake. I wasted oodles of buttermilk for years before discovering that I could freeze it. Liberating, isn't it?

Unknown said...

i saw that first picture in reader, and immediately thought of a breakfast sammie :) YUM, i totally want one!!

Active Foodie said...

There are few things that bring me as much joy as a warm buttermilk biscuit with butter and jam...ahhhhhh

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

These are really gorgeous! I just made and posted about flaky biscuits too. They were yummy but didn't rise as much, so I may just gave to give this recipe a go!

shaz said...

These look amazing! I'd never really come across that technique before, I always thought biscuits were what we call "scones" but these sound a bit different. I'm going to have to try it out.

(Yeah, and I never realised I could freeze buttermilk too)

Tupper Cooks! said...

I'm actually drooling (Pavlovian response to that awesome pic). And I know what I'm making tomorrow AM-Thanks!

Simones Kitchen said...

I would almost say they look like scones! I'd never thought of freezing buttermilk to be honest, but that is a great idea (if I can actually get some space in the freezer that is..:)) Those biscuits look delicious!

Kerstin said...

I'm all about breakfast sandwiches - your biscuits look perfect! I never thought to freeze buttermilk before, so I'll have to try that out.

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

I've never made biscuits, but I would love something like this for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

True southern cooks do not put sugar in their biscuits. That is why we make homemade biscuits and do not buy the frozen ones as they have sugar.

Esi said...

1. I'm not a southern cook and have never claimed to be.
2. This recipe is from a southern cook, so please take your issues to its creator and stop hiding behind anonymous comments

Unknown said...

If I do not have buttermilk I make my own using white vinegar or lemon juice.