Sunday, February 7, 2010

Asian Turkey Cabbage Cups

Asian Turkey Cabbage Cups 1/31/10

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!! You may be still looking for something fast and easy to try with your menu today. If so, may I suggest these cabbage cups. Even if you're not, I still suggest them because they are fabulously easy and wonderfully flavorful. With my time being extremely limited lately, the major draw of any recipe is how much time it will take. I am getting a bit better with my knife skills so this recipe basically just takes the time to chop the herbs while the turkey is cooking. It's the perfect light lunch for Sunday afternoon or an appetizer if you have another dish planned for later in the day like I did. As always, I like my spice so I used one whole jalapeno, seeds and all. If you cannot tolerate spice like me (and there are many who cannot), just take out the seeds or use less of the jalapeno. Even though this is just turkey and lettuce, the protein is enough to fill you up and keep you feeling energized throughout the day which is just the kind of thing I need lately.

Asian Turkey Cabbage Cups
(Adapted from Cooking Light)



Makes 2 servings

1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 pounds ground turkey
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 small jalapeƱo pepper, finely chopped (you can omit the seeds if you want it less spicy)
6 large napa cabbage leaves
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and turkey to pan; cook 7 minutes or until turkey is done, stirring frequently. Drain turkey mixture; place in a large bowl. Add green onions, sugar, cilantro, mint, lime juice, fish sauce, olive oil, sesame oil, and jalapeno; toss well. Spoon a bit of the turkey mixture into each cabbage leaf. Top with peanuts.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Erica said...

Very nice! I think this is perfect for a dinner party-looks pretty and I'm sure the taste is fabulous

vanillasugarblog said...

very creative ms esi!

Diana said...

Happy Super Bowl Sunday! I am slowly getting better at my knife skills too -- it helps to have good knives! :)

Love all the herbs going on here. I've become obsessed with fresh parsley and cilantro lately. It may becoming like quinoa...

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

You always find those interesting recipe. That is surely pretty good.

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

Happy Sunday! Can i just tell you I have a guily secret- I love lettuce cups from P.F. Changs! So naturally when I saw this post I started to drool. I'm going to try these for a light and easy weeknight dinner, I mean R and I can only eat so many burger =)

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love this kind of dish! So many fresh flavours that you hardly even notice that it is healthy.

Unknown said...

Welcome to Gelato Supply Australia's leading manufacturer and supplier of
Gelato pans, cones, spoons, ice cream scoop freezer, pan liners and much more.