Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Blood Oranges with Mascarpone, Honey, and Pistachios

Blood Oranges with Mascarpone, Honey, and Pisachios


I recently picked up some blood oranges at the farmers market. They were getting almost to the point of sad looking because I haven't had much time to cook lately, but I knew I wanted to do something delicious with them. I recently tried my hand at making my own cheese in the form of mascarpone. It's my new favorite thing and I am slightly obsessed with it. Although I had a bit of ricotta in my fridge, I decided to pair the oranges with the rich mascarpone and a some pistachios for color and crunch. The result was a sweet, but not too rich dessert that I could not get enough of. Seriously. I love that blood oranges are tart and sweet, but not too much of either and the sweet, creamy mascarpone paired well with the tartness. The pistachios added great crunch and the honey tied everything together. I dare you to stop at one bite with this simple, yet stunning dessert.



Blood Oranges with Mascarpone, Honey, and Pistachios
(Inspired by Fig and Cherry)



Makes 2 servings

1-2 small blood oranges, peeled and sliced into rounds
2-3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
Honey to taste, plus extra for drizzling
1 tablepoon unsalted, roasted pistachios, roughly chopped

In a small bowl, mix together the mascarpone with enough honey to reach the desired sweetness. Arrange the blood orange rounds on a plate. Top with the mascarpone and sprinkle with pistachios. Drizzle the entire plate with honey and serve immediately.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 comments:

Erica said...

Ow! I was actually thinking this would make a nice breakfast! Love mascarpone! Yum!

Maria said...

Almost too pretty to eat!

Olga of MangoTomato said...

It looks very pretty! I like how you combined different textures, colors and flavors!

Sook said...

oh we just had some blood oranges the other day! It was my first time and I loved it. This looks fantastic! Next time we get blood oranges, I will have to make this.

La Bella Cooks said...

Simple but incredibly gorgeous. I just love the color of those blood oranges and mascarpone makes life better, in my opinion.

Pam said...

Blood oranges are amazingly good with the sweet and sour thing going and the color is a bonus. Beautiful salad and I can only imagine how good it tastes!

Diana said...

I can't wait for your post about how to make mascarpone! Looks like good stuff.

Which of course means I can't eat it.

Joie de vivre said...

What a gorgeous presentation and a gorgeous photograph!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Beautiful, simple and delicious! This is the reason I love southern California cuisine! I need to get started on cheese making at home too!

Jenn said...

Yum!! I need to pick me up some blood oranges, too. Simple and delicious!!

vanillasugarblog said...

isn't that just so pretty. love the textures happeninh here.

Fig and Cherry said...

I love your adaptation of my recipe! Plus, I'm very inspired to make my own mascarpone as it's quite expensive to buy at the deli :)

The Cooking Photographer said...

Beautiful and so simple.

À LA GRAHAM said...

Wow...this looks amazing. So glad I found your blog...beautiful photos!

shaz said...

So pretty. I love blood oranges too, especially for their tartness. Great pairing.

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks for visiting Esi! It's so nice to be back in the food blogging world. :)

Simones Kitchen said...

It is so funny that I see all these people all of a sudden use their home made mascarpone in recipes... I just happen to know where it comes from...lol It does look amazing and totally delicious!

Cheri said...

This is so gorgeous. I love the simplicity of it. Simple is always best. :)

Unknown said...

simple, yet elegant! i just picked up some blood oranges, but they weren't my favorite (too bitter). This might be a nice way to tame them!

Kerstin said...

What a gorgeous and sophisticated dessert! The mascarpone with the oranges sounds so refreshing.

Alicia Foodycat said...

How gorgeous! It's not often that you see such red blood oranges. And I am totally impressed that you are making your own mascarpone.

Anonymous said...

What a simple but beautiful dish! I love color of the blood oranges with the pistachios. And of course a little honey drizzled on top never hurt ;)