Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mustard Greens and Winter Citrus Salad

Mustard Greens and Citrus Salad 1/24/10

A few weeks ago I received and email from Diana that made me smile. "I found the perfect recipe for you!". Apparently I have become known as a kale queen of sorts. I had just seen the kale and blood orange salad recipe and had just added it to my Springpad. Soon after, I spotted this NY Times recipe using winter citrus. My original intention was to do both recipes, but in a last minute twist I decided to combine the two. A couple of weeks ago, I paid a visit to the Santa Monica farmers market. It's not my usual farmers market, but I like to go if I can't make it to Beverly Hills or Hollywood on a Sunday. Unfortunately, I got there late and a lot of the produce was sold out. I got the blood oranges for free, because one vendor felt sorry for me when I complained that everyone was out. He gave me his last three sad looking oranges that he hadn't been planning to sell. In my rush to pick up produce as the market was closing, I picked up what I thought was kale, but turned out to be purple mustard greens. I'll just say I am not a fan of purple mustard greens so I strongly urge you to use kale if you make this. Mustard greens have a strong floral, honey scent, but it can be a bit off-putting when raw. However I loved the citrus here which is why I decided to still share this recipe with you. So much of winter eating can make you feel heavy and bloated, but this fresh bright salad is exactly the opposite. The flavors are bright and the dressing is tangy with a hint of anise flavor from the tarragon. I will definitely make this again using my beloved kale.

Mustard Greens and Citrus Salad

Mustard Greens and Winter Citrus Salad
(Adapted from The New York Times and The Kitchn)



Makes 2 generous servings

1 bunch mustard greens (or black kale), washed and sliced into 1/4-inch wide ribbons
4 small blood oranges, segmented or peeled and sliced, juice reserved
1 Cara Cara orange, peeled and sliced, juiced reserved
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
1 teaspoon (approximately) meyer lemon juice
Juice from 2 clementines
1 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly chopped tarragon or a pinch dried.
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl, whisk together the blood orange juice, Cara Cara juice, clementine juice,Meyer lemon zest, hone, olive oil, and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the greens and, toss until the leaves are coated with dressing. Add the citrus and shallots and toss to combine.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

KennyT said...

I would love to try blood orange!

vanillasugarblog said...

this reminds me of a blood orange cheesecake I saw once.
you do love your kale and I love that you are creative with it. I see a cookbook theme here....huh?

Erica said...

I love seeing beautiful produce on your blog! Even if its leftover farmers market goods in your neck of the woods, its freshness to me ;) I need to start eating more citrus!

Maria said...

Such a refreshing salad!

Gaby said...

this is like the perfect winter salad. I am making it for my clients tonight and they are going to LOVE it!

Memória said...

This dish looks so fresh and healthy!! I need to try this out with my mom. She would appreciate this. Thanks!

Isn't it nice to have friends who think of you all the time? That was sweet of your friend to send you that recipe.

Diana said...

Those blood oranges look pretty good considering the guy wasn't even going to sell them! Bummer about the mustard greens though -- that is so something I would do!

Peabody said...

A great way to get my greens in! Looks good and refreshing.

Anonymous said...

ooh winter salad! Always fun, and a nice change from the hearty heavy stereotypical winter foods.

PS I love kale too! :) Yum!

Kelly said...

Yum. I love the balance of the hearty greens and the fresh citrus. Lovely balance.

Maris said...

I wish I liked citrus fruit more! I love the flavors but can't beyond the texture of an orange or grapefruit. This looks so good!

The Active Foodie said...

What a perfect light and refreshing salad! I am trying to eat a lot more kale and greens and this is perfect!!!

Azusa said...

Mustard greens or not, this looks delicious! Lovely photographs.

Simones Kitchen said...

Whatever the vegetables you used in them it sure looks gorgeous. Love the shine on the bloodoranges!