Friday, October 30, 2009

Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Leeks

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Leeks

Despite what some people think, I don't have gourmet meals for dinner every night. Sometimes I am just too tired, or lazy, or get off work too late to make anything fancy. It's nights like those that I will just turn to some chicken, some harvest grains mix, and some vegetables. However last night, the vegetables were special. A few nights ago I roasted up a bunch of brussels sprouts and leeks tossed in a simple balsamic dressing. These were inspired by our fall potluck a few weeks ago. I don't even remember the last time I have had brussels sprouts before a couple of weeks ago. I always thought I didn't like them, but now I can't get enough! I am a huge fan of the nutty flavor that comes from roasting vegetables and it's a great paring with the sweet and tart balsamic and mellow onion flavor from the leeks. I'll probably be making this once a week from now until spring!

Happy Halloween weekend to all! What are you doing to celebrate?


Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Leeks

Balsamic Roasted Brussels Spouts and Leeks

1 bunch brussels sprouts, cut in half
3 leeks, washed and cut into 1/2-1 inch pieces
Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
No salt Greek seasoning (optional)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Drizzle the foil with a bit of olive oil.

In a small bowl toss the brussels sprouts with balsamic, Greek seasoning, more oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Lay the sprouts cut side up and spread the leeks in between. Spoon any remaining balsamic mixture of the the sprouts and leeks. Roast for 20 minutes. Using tongs, flip the sprouts and leeks over and roast for about 10 more minutes until the sprouts are crisp on the outside and the balsamic vinegar has caramelized. Serve warm.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Erica said...

Yes! I am a HUGE brussels fan. Love them roasted, steamed, chopped up raw- all delicious. I bet that balsamic made these that much tastier. We're going out to lunch tomorrow for my Dad's birthday and then handing out candy to the kiddos

The Duo Dishes said...

It's too bad brussels get a bad rap with some folks. They are delicious. A little olive oil and salt, and it's like roasted magic. All it takes is one good brussels experience to obliterate any of the bad ones.

La Bella Cooks said...

Wow, just look at the color on those! This is a recipe sure to get the entire family to give them a go. Great recipe!

Anonymous said...

Your recipe looks delish. Lucky for me, my boys love Brussels sprouts! Favorite way: steam or boil, then saute garlic in olive oil. Toss in Brussels sprouts along with kosher salt, grated Parm and toasted pine nuts.
Yum.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love roasted brussels! Its the only way I'll eat them. Put some freshly grated parm on them next time. Yum!

Fresh Local and Best said...

I adore brussels sprouts roasted with oil and vinegar. This looks so good and healthy, it still looks gourmet! ;)

Jenn said...

Hey I made balsamic brussel sprouts this week, too. hehe... It's sooo good. You know I never really got why they get such a bad rap, too. It's good stuff.

Mary Bergfeld said...

My husband adores Brussels Sprouts. He's going to love this recipe. Have a wonderful Halloween weekend.

Simones Kitchen said...

I actually don't like Brussels Sprouts because my mom always used to cook them to a snotty pulp! (sorry mum...) But this actually looks quite tasty. Maybe I should just give them another try... Just maybe!

lynn said...

love love love brussels sprouts. i grew up not trying them, but hearing they were disgusting from old tv shows. boy did i miss out.

Antonietta said...

Yum! I love brussels sprouts and the addition of balsamic vinegar sounds great. thank you!

Heather said...

wow! those look perfectly roasted! they look so delicious!!!!!!!! happy halloween :)

Kerstin said...

Wow, this looks like the perfect way to serve Brussels sprouts! I'll have to try this for my hubby.

angela@spinachtiger said...

Love this recipe. I almost think veg's shouldn't be made any other way except to roast. The balsamic is a nice touch.

Will I see you at Food buzz festival?

The Food Librarian said...

This looks yummy...and really, Esi, how do you make brown food look sooo good. You are a great food photographer. Do that instead of reading scripts all day! ;)

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

I was looking for a good and simple brussel sprout recipe and i knew your blog would be the place to find it. I'm going to make this to go along with dinner tonight for some gal pals hope they like it =)!