Friday, October 23, 2009

Braised Lentils with Swiss Chard and a Poached Egg

Braised Lentils with Swiss Chard and a Poached Egg


I never knew that lentils could be so sexy. I mean, look at that egg. Anyway, this dish came into my radar last week and I quickly added it to the meal plan. I always have things like garlic, eggs, shallots, and lentils lying around. I have been meaning to do a post on kitchen staples, but time has not been on my side lately. I picked up some beautiful red chard at the farmers market to complete this. I don't own a nonstick pan so I decided to poach the eggs instead of frying. I really like this method for poaching eggs, and it works pretty well for me. The earthy lentils and bite of the chard went well with that beautiful, creamy egg yolk. I was practically licking my dish when it was done. I think the only thing that could make this better is a bit of crusty bread to sop up the egg yolk and braising juices. I have a feeling I will be making this dish often this season.


Don't forget about my agave giveaway!

Braised Lentils with Swiss Chard and a Poached Egg
(Lightly adapted from Serious Eats who adapted from Last Night's Dinner)

Makes 2 servings

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup French green lentils
1 bunch winter greens, such as kale, chard, collards, etc. (I used swiss chard)
1 shallot, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup red wine
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes, or to taste
Splash of lemon juice or sherry vinegar (optional, I forgot and it was fine)
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 eggs

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and saute until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add 1 cup water and the red wine and the lentils, bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender but not mushy, 25-30 minutes. Add more water as necessary. Season to taste with salt.

In the meantime, wash the greens and slice the leaves away from the stems and roughly chop the leaves. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil, garlic, and chili flakes in a saucepan or large skillet until fragrant, then add the leaves along with 1/4 cup or so of water and a pinch of salt. Cover, turn the heat to medium-low, and allow the leaves to steam as the water evaporates, tasting for tenderness and adding more water as necessary. Finish with lemon juice or vinegar to taste if desired.

When the lentils and greens are nearing completion, poach the eggs in simmering water. Serve the greens on a bed of lentils, topped with the egg and fresh black pepper.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Antonietta said...

Looks amazing! You dress up those lentils like they are going to the prom!

Erica said...

I love that eggs are an anytime of the day meal! This looks great- I love a little runny yolk every now and again (Josh likes it cooked until theres no way it could ever run haha). Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

The Wind Attack said...

I got red chard at the farmer's market last sunday too! Couldn't resist that beautiful color.

And yes, that egg is sexy. Runny yolk shots are always sexy!

vanillasugarblog said...

now this is a good breakfast. this is what I need in the mornings when I'm at the gym for my 3 hour-stint.

Jenn said...

Mmm...It's been a while since I've had myself a nice poached egg. I think I'll have to make myself one for dinner.

Diana said...

You and are so in sync sometimes, my food friend! I've been thinking about posting a kitchen staples post too! (with shallots, garlic, eggs, et all on that list)

But anyway, this looks exactly like something I would eat, love and then repeat. I just need to learn how to poach those eggs!

Christo Gonzales said...

tres zexy - damn I have never seen lentils looks so nice! I love poached eggs.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a nice recipe. It looks and sounds delicious.

Unknown said...

Almost don't need the egg!

I find that if I trim greens as indicated and simply start the minced stems cooking a few minutes before the leafy parts they fit into the dish just fine. Less waste, more food!

Kerstin said...

Definitely sexy :) Looks delicious!

Frenchie said...

What is it about poached eggs that make almost everything taste better? I love lentils and this combination seems ideal. I might add some bacon the lentils when I make it though, I love the extra meaty and smoky flavor.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

That's such a delicious, healthy meal you made.

Simones Kitchen said...

It looks delicious! I actually still have some lentils that I should be using, which I might just make this recipe. lovely!

test it comm said...

This is nice and simple, tasty, light and healthy!

lynn said...

lentils are definitely sexy!!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks delicious! I can just imagine how the yolk oozed into the lentils.

Unknown said...

this looks absolutely fabulous!!

angela@spinachtiger said...

This is my type of everyday meal. Love poached eggs, lentils, chard. I like what you happen to have laying around. You are a GOOOD cook.

Theresa said...

Sprinkle on crumbled goat cheese while the dish is hot and this is just sinful!

allison [a for aubergine] said...

you had me at the runny egg! it's one of my faves...in fact, i had one this morning. mmmm!

ross pearl said...



Your blog gave us significant data to work with. Each and each tip of your post are amazing. You're the best for sharing. Continue to blog

ij.start.cannon

www.office.com/setup