Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Daring Bakers: Macarons

Pistachio Macarons with Chocolate Ganache

The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.

Pistachio Macarons with Chocolate Ganache

I can't believe that in over two years of existence, the Daring Bakers have never taken on a macaron challenge. To me, macarons are one of those things that everyone hopes to be able to accomplish in the kitchen at least once. I made my first successful batch of macarons last winter so I was excited to have the opportunity to try them again...until I heard about how many people were failing with the recipe. The Daring Bakers forums and Twitter were full of complaints about time and money spent on a recipe that didn't seem to work. I don't know about you, but as a broke Hollywood assistant, I don't have a lot of extra time or money to repeatedly make something that may or may not work. Since this past weekend was my only shot to get the macarons done before the challenge due date, I decided to go with a recipe and tips that worked for me before.

Pistachio Macarons with Chocolate Ganache

Chocolate and pistachios are a wonderful combo. I ground my own nuts and used half almonds and half pistachios. I didn't grind my nuts as finely as I should have, so there was an interesting crunch in the shells, but it wasn't unpleasant. I used a chocolate ganache recipe from Sherry Yard that was easy and absolutely heavenly! If you make this ganache, be sure to use good chocolate because the flavor really comes through. (eek, how Ina Garten did that sound?). Katrina of she's in the kitchen is the one who gave me the heads up about the ganache recipe. Thanks Katrina! Check out the other Daring Bakers to see how their macarons turned out!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

You did a really nice job with this challenge! Congratulations - macarons
can be tricky to make.

Erica said...

Love the use of almonds and pistachios- I bet the flavor combo was awesome! Glad they turned out so well! Nice work girl

Olga said...

I was surprised that this is the first time they chocse macarons too!

Great idea on pistachios and chocolate. I ended up with making my own almond flour and think it wasn't as fine as needed too.

When in San Francisco, we should stop by Miette Patisserie :)

Dolce said...

The trick with French macarons is to let them sit at least a 1/2 hour between piping and baking so they have time to set. This is call "croûter" in French :) (getting a crust)

The Healthy Apple said...

Yummy; what adorable macaroons...I love pistachios...Can't wait to meet you at Foodbuzz in San Fran!!! Congrats with the challenge!!!

The Food Librarian said...

Can you show me how to make these one day? These look fantastic! -mary

Engineer Baker said...

Lovely! I love the use of pistachios! And yes, tried and true recipe always for macs - that's what I went with :)

Jenn said...

Wow. I love the choco and pistachio combo. Nicely done. I have to try making me some macarons soon. It's getting near the holidays and i need to think up what I'm going to up in my treat boxes.

vanillasugarblog said...

I have yet to conquer these bad boys with my unreliant easy bake oven.
you did a perfect job ms. thing. seriously.
who got to eat them? did they go to a nice home?

glamah16 said...

It was a long time coming . Love Pistcahios. Well done.

Heather said...

mmmm. i love the chocolate/pistachio challenge. i really need to try making macaroons one of these days!

Sippity Sup said...

These are so beautiful. Great job. GREG

Simones Kitchen said...

Very wise decision to not use the challenge recipe! I did and it didn't work so well as the original recipe from Tartelette that I've used before. Your macarons look lovely and I gotta check out that filling! Love the pistachio/almond mixture!

katrina said...

How beautiful are those? Well, let's put it this way - I think I just may try to finally make macarons.
Your (and Sherry's) ganache is making me hungry, even though it's 8am! Mmmmmmm.

Diana said...

The thought of attempting macarons terrifies me, but that combination sounds incredible! Then again, anything combined with chocolate makes me happy. Except for maybe broccoli. I don't think I'd like broccoli with my chocolate...

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Your macarons are magnifique! Well done.

Michelle Dargen said...

So shiny, smooth, and well-footed! Nice job!!

Kana said...

All these macaroons are making me crave for them! Greta job Esi!

Lisa said...

Esi..what a beautiful job on your maxarons, and Sherry Yard's ganache is one I've got to try. My mouth is watering thinking about it. Nicely done and great photos!

Alicia Foodycat said...

It looks gorgeous! Mmmm pistachio and chocolate! Such a pity the chosen recipe doesn't work so well.

Anonymous said...

These look very gourmet looking, i wish i could taste them! Very well done!