Friday, October 16, 2009

John Dory with Tomato-Olive Relish

John Dory with Tomato-Olive Relish

I often complain about SoCal in the "fall", but there is something I do love about living here. Even though the weather is fluctuating between rain (2 days ago) and 90 degree temps (today), the farmers market is the perfect mix of the bridge from summer to fall. Over the past weekend, I noticed the market was full of fall goodies. Squash, pomegranates, grapes, and apples were crowded into many baskets. At the same time, the remnants of late summer were still lingering. There were plenty of figs, summer squash, and tomatoes. This was especially lucky for me as I didn't get to play with summer produce as much as I wanted during my short stint at Grey Gardens. Organic roma tomatoes were a steal at a dollar a pound. I picked up a bunch of them and slow roasted some and made this phenomenal and simple dish with the rest. I wasn't able to find halibut and the guy at the market told me that John Dory was the closest thing. Bonus points for it being inexpensive, but I am not too sure about it's sustainability. One good thing about John Dory is that it is firm and mild and able to withstand the bold flavors of the relish. Plus this is quick cooking for a weeknight meal. I need to do some more research on sustainable fish, but I did enjoy this easy and healthy dinner quite a bit.

John Dory with Tomato-Olive Relish


Tomato-Olive Relish
(Adapted from Once Upon a Plate)

1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped ripe olives

1 Tablespoon capers, rinsed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon parsley
1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper
1 large garlic clove, minced

Gently mix all of the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over freshly cooked shrimp, fish, chicken, or meat.
Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Erica said...

Its still pretty warm here so I can't complain...but I wouldn't mind living in forever summer :) I'm such a summer baby! This looks so pretty. Glad you're enjoying your farmers markets

Sippity Sup said...

I love autumn in So Cal! The light is so pretty. Speaking of pretty that fish is gorgeous. I did a quick check on John Dory's sustainability and could not find a definitive answer. It seems some are trawled (bad), but the same article said east coast John Dory were "under utilized". I think they were talking about New Zealand though, further muddying the waters. Pardon the pun. GREG

Jenn said...

I've always been a fall cali girl. It's always been my favorite season. Aside from the fact that it's near the holidays. I love the relish for the fish. It's a nice way to jazz it up.

Esi said...

Erica and Jen, you gals were made for warm weather!

Greg, you're right!! When I went looking for info it was pretty confusing. I guess I will be sticking to the list from now on!

vanillasugarblog said...

well lookee at you all professional with a perfect recipe and a little history & learning. you are lucky to have just 2 days of rain...try months.

Fresh Local and Best said...

I miss the farmers' markets in California, the ones around Santa Barbara were always amazing. You're making me terribly homesick!

Belle and Ward said...

We opted for a Thai curry black cod dish tonight, but for next time, this tomato-olive relish looks so good!

Kerstin said...

What a perfect way to use up your farmers' market find!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Must be nice. We have rain, rain and more rain. Love the meal you prepared.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is really beautiful. I haven't seen John Dorry since we left the East coast, but I use to love it. The relish is simply outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

healthy ashley said...

This dish is beautiful!

Simones Kitchen said...

This looks gorgeous! I find it sometimes difficult to find the right fish here as well. Some call it sustainable but then when you check it, it turns out to be not so sustainable after all. It does look very delicious!

Unknown said...

simple, delicious, and healthy--perfect!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oh yum! One of the most memorable meals I have ever had was fish (red emperor) with this sort of tomato and olive relish. Amazing combination!

Olga said...

John Dory is a name of the fish? I had no clue :)
Looks like a perfect dish for any time of the year.

Juliana said...

I too like the fall, the air is clean and crispy :-)
The fish looks yummie, with all the goodies on it.

lisaiscooking said...

I love fish with a fresh relish like this! Sounds fantastic.

angela@spinachtiger said...

Such a healthy meal. I'm going to need that on Friday. I have always wondered what John Dory was.
Tomatoes at $1 a pound. I'm jealous, but my garden here in Nashville is still supplying tomatoes and bell pepper. Crazy. Happy THanksgiving.