Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pumpkin Swirl Brownies

Pumpkin Swirl Brownies

This past weekend I was so determined to make something with pumpkin. The weather has finally cooled down (at least temporarily) and it has me in the mood for warming foods and baking things in my mini oven. My Twitter friends were overwhelmingly in support of pumpkin brownies versus pumpkin blondies so that's what I made. Although, let's be honest...I think pumpkin blondies are in my very near future. I am on a blondie/brownie kick lately. One of the things I am getting used to is baking in a very small kitchen, but it's kind of fun...except when flour gets everywhere.

Pumpkin Swirl Brownies

These were fun to bake and despite my reservations about the swirling affect, they came out really well. They looked so pretty and made my apartment smell like fall. The finished result was very good too. The brownies were a bit cakier than I prefer my brownies to be, but after storing them overnight, they thickened up a bit. The best part? They were a total hit at work. I kind of felt like a rockstar bringing these in. I didn't taste the cayenne at all so if I make these again, I may try adding a full quarter teaspoon and to get that fudgy consistency, I will use less flour, but otherwise these were a good experiment in fall baking. I can't wait to make more pumpkin recipes this season. What are your favorite pumpkin treats?

Pumpkin Swirl Brownies

Pumpkin-Swirl Brownies
(Slightly adapted from Everyday Food)

Makes 16 brownies

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Scant 1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups solid-pack pumpkin
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan or dish. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter lining.

Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, cayenne, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat until fluffy and well combined, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in flour mixture.

Divide batter between two medium bowls (about 2 cups per bowl). Stir chocolate mixture into one bowl. In other bowl, stir in pumpkin, oil, and cinnamon. Transfer half of chocolate batter to prepared pan smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Top with half of pumpkin batter. Repeat to make one more chocolate layer and one more pumpkin layer. Work quickly so batters don't set.

With a small spatula or a table knife, gently swirl the two batters to create a marbled effect. Sprinkle with nuts.

Bake until set, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 16 squares.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Erica said...

owwwwwww they look so pretty and sound even better! I think chocolate and pumpkin go so well together. Glad you're able to post more now...I was getting sad without your beautiful creations. Hope you have a good week.

Pete Eatemall said...

I have another recipe to add to my wish to bake list! Love the touch of cayenne...Looks so great! Thanks for sharing. Happy baking!

MaryMoh said...

Looks gorgeous and delicious. That a healthier version. I would love to try that.

Maria said...

Glad you made these. They look really good and festive! I will post my blondies on Friday:) Pumpkin rolls are always a big hit: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/2008/10/pumpkin-roll.html

So are pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon syrup: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/2008/10/pumpkin-pancakes-with-cinnamon-syrup.html

Mary Ann said...

These look delicious. I love pumpkin anything and actually have some pumpkin in the fridge that I need to use. I think I am going to make these.
They look beautiful too. Great job on your swirling.
I have too many pumpkin faves, basically anything with pumpkin I will love!

vanillasugarblog said...

hey those came out great. I think I have to print this one out.
I am going to try some pumpkin fritters, but never made them so who knows what will happen.

Mary Bergfeld said...

They really do look beautiful and I love the addition of cayenne. I'm fond of pumpkin ravioli with brown butter sauce and have lots of sweet pumpkin recipes on my blog. I'll be interested to see your recipe for pumpkin brownies. Have a great day.

Diana said...

I'm totally with ya on the blonde/brownie kick! Maybe because it's fall and I need warm comfort food? Or maybe just because I like baked goods. A lot.

R. Wiles said...

Beautiful!!

Might have to steal this one and save it for a bit later in the month! :)

Mary Ann said...

Just popped these in the oven! Thanks for the inspiration to make them.

The Food Librarian said...

I made these too and they are such a hit! Yummy!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

This is a 'to try' recipe. Love the color of the brownies.

Heather said...

i'm a pumpkin pecan bar person myself. i don't like the pumpkin/chocolate combo, so it rules out brownies for me, but i find the cayenne addition interesting. i also like my brownies a little more fudgy... or undercooked! mmmm.

Veggie Belly said...

ive bookmarked this to try. i love the cayenne in this!

Esi said...

Erica, week is busy but going well! Hope yours is too!

Maria, I adore pumpkin cinnamon rolls, the pancakes sounds amazing too!

Dawn, fritters sound awesome! I bookmarked a recipe last year. I should try them.

Mary Ann, how did they turn out????

Heather, pumpkin and chocolate is seriously to die for!

Simones Kitchen said...

They came you really really nice. Now ideally you should be sending some over to Holland so I can taste them... haha... But they do look seriously good!

Joanne Choi said...

look fabulous...must try these...I love ANYTHING pumpkin - I had in my mind to try and create a pumpkin cheesecake type brownie, but maybe this is better.

Reeni said...

I love pumpkin-anything! I guess cupcakes are my favorite, hard to pick one thing. These look scrumptious!

Belle & Ward said...

These look so good! Ward recently experimented with pumpkin pies and everyone loved them, so now we're sort of on a pumpkin kick. I think these brownies will definitely go over well!

Becki said...

My husband found your site and forwarded me this recipe. I tried it and they were fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

sara said...

Those are some truly gorgeous brownies!