Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Baked Eggs

Hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend! Mine was bittersweet since I had a great get together with my friends, but I had to say goodbye to a dear friend who is moving away for a little while :( Now to the food! I missed the first Barefoot Bloggers recipe of baked eggs and I have been wanting to try them for a while. I didn't have the ingredients for Ina's version, so I came up with a combination made up of things I had on hand. That's the beauty of baked eggs, you can literally through anything in to them and they come out great!! I am definitely going to be trying many versions of this in the future.

Baked Eggs

2 organic, free-range eggs
2 thin slices organic turkey breast
1 small Roma tomato, chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Cheese for sprinkling (I used a Mexican 3 cheese blend)
Bread for serving (optional)
Salt and pepper (optional - for the first time ever, I forgot to season and I was pleasantly surprised to find that this combo didn't really need the extra salt)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Butter a small ramekin and lay the turkey slices in it so they are overlapping. Lay the tomatoes on top of the turkey and spread the garlic over the tomatoes. Crack 2 eggs into the ramekin and top with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes until the eggs have set. If you like less done eggs, reduce the cooking time.

Check out the beautiful blueberry and blackberry galette that pre-Jackie made!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Erica said...

mmmmm what a great idea. I'm glad you got to give them a try!

Prudy said...

I love baked eggs. They make those regular ingredients seem special. That galette looks so inviting.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love baked eggs - but that galette looks like heaven!

CECIL said...

The baked eggs look so delicious!! Never made one before and can't wait to give it a try.

test it comm said...

Baked eggs sound good. I like the idea of having a different flavour every time.