Sunday, September 14, 2008

Creme Brulee Oatmeal

Normally on the weekend mornings/afternoons I eat leftovers or whatever is in the pantry. I rarely cook myself an actual breakfast because my schedule on weekends tends to be all over the place. I wake up pretty early and rarely sleep in, but it still takes time for me to get going and my Saturdays don't really start until about noon. It's usually around that time that I realize I am starving and devour all my leftover macaroni and cheese...or something. But this Saturday, I reached for a new recipe. I found it last week on Eating Out Loud and knew I had to make it immediately if not sooner. Creme brulee is my absolute favorite dessert and you're telling me I can have a breakfast version? I am so there! It was so so so good and a little extra decadent because I used whole milk. I am normally a nonfat milk kinda gal, but I had the whole leftover and needed to use it up. I was also able to use the last of my golden raspberries. I agree with Allen about not adding sugar to the oatmeal while cooking it. The top provides so much flavor, plus that extra bonus of getting to crack it just like you would on a normal creme brulee.

PS, Thank you to Jenn, The Leftover Queen for naming me a Finest Foodie this past Friday. If you're not a member of the Foodie Blogroll, click here to find out how to join!!


Creme Brulee Oatmeal
(Adapted from Eating Out Loud)

Makes 2 servings

1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup milk (I used whole milk since I had it leftover, but by all means use skim or low fat)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 dashes cinnamon
Dash salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Berries (any kind)

Cook the oatmeal according to the package instructions with milk, vanilla, 1 dash of cinnamon, and salt. Fill each ramekin about three-quarters of the way with the oatmeal. Sprinkle a few berries on top of the oatmeal and then top the berries with the remaining oatmeal. Make sure to level the top part of the oatmeal.

Preheat the broiler and place the ramekins in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix the sugars with a dash of cinnamon if desired. Top each ramekin with the sugar mixture. Place the ramekins under the broiler for 1-3 minutes until the sugar is melted and golden. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, top with remaining berries and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

Now this is something I can relate too. I'm not a big oatmeal fan. I eat it because it's good for me (since I'm getting to be an old fart ha ha).
This is definitely kicking oatmeal up a few notches.
Thanks for sharing--hope your weekend is going good :-)

Paula said...

Congrats on being named a famous foodie! This recipe today sound so good! Even the title sounds terrific! Now that's a breakfast that I would love to have!

Erica said...

yummmmmmm! I'm always in for something that sounds like dessert for breakfast! Hope you had a nice weekend!

Dee said...

Oh wow, what a great idea! I love it when breakfast doubles as dessert :)

Natalie Que said...

Oh WOW, this is so simple yet FAB! It makes me scratch my head and think -why didn't I ever think of that!?

Alicia Foodycat said...

How delicious! And your golden raspberries are so pretty!

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature your creme brulee oatmeal on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... this looks awesome!
What a great idea.

CECIL said...

Have never had creme brulee oatmeal before..and it sure looks delicious! And oatmeal is good for ya, so..I can eat like..4 of these, yeah? :)

Unknown said...

ooooh boy... this might get made tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I could not relate more to the "Creme brulee is my absolute favorite dessert and you're telling me I can have a breakfast version?" line. It's one of my favorite desserts too so I am just blown away right now! :)

musicbleep said...

You totes need to make it sans the oatmeal, but its still has to be oatmeal. That's your challenge...

xoxox
musicbleep.com