Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tomato Tart

I saw this post a few weeks ago on Closet Cooking and new I wanted to try it. This past weekend I was looking for puff pastry and accidentally picked up filo dough. Note, the two are not interchangeable, but I had never worked with either so how was I supposed to know? Haha, the things you learn while food blogging. Anyway, I don't think I used enough of the dough, so my tart came out pretty thin, but it was delicious. I didn't have any mozzarella on hand so I mixed together the last of my Gruyere and a little bit of Parmesan. I probably could have sliced my tomatoes a little thinner too, but they came out nice and juicy. Using a pizza cutter really helped when cutting slices of it. The tart and a nice glass of cold white wine was a perfect way to wind down after a day of cooking on Sunday.

Filo Tomato Tart
(Adapted from Sunset)

5 sheet filo dough, thawed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons grated Gruyere cheese
2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray paper with cooking-oil spray (or brush lightly with vegetable oil). Lay 1 sheet filo on paper and brush lightly with a little melted butter. Sprinkle all over with Parmesan. Repeat layering with the remaining filo (with filo, butter, and Parmesan), pressing each sheet firmly so it sticks to sheet below. Lay the last filo sheet on top, brush with remaining melted butter, and sprinkle on Parmesan.

Mix 2 tablespoons Parmesan with 2 tablespoons Gruyere. Scatter onion across filo, top with Gruyere and Parmesan, and arrange tomato slices in a single layer. Sprinkle with thyme and salt and pepper to taste.

Bake until filo is golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, then serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Yummy! I love tomato anything - love the oven roasted tomatoes too - I used to do those ALL the time....I need to do them again - tastes like candy, huh?

Unknown said...

This looks sooo tasty :) Oh, and I will get to the tag soon!

Prudy said...

I saw it there too, and now it looks gorgeous and inviting again. I've got everything I need for this one, so I'm going to try and rustle it up for dinner.

CECIL said...

Oooh...have to try this one of these days! Cheese, tomatoes and phyllo...all good stuff.

Erica said...

That looks like it would make a fabulous app at a party!

Natalie Que said...

I saw that post too! I just love Kevin's blog, so many great ideas! I really wanted to try this one too.

Olga said...

lol: I saw the same post, but haven't replicated it.

Great job!

Shaheen said...

Love the delicate looking tomato tart!